Thread: Paralyzed and Pregnant

Paralyzed and Pregnant

To be aired on Discovery Health Channel on June 6 @ 8pm EDT.

Highlights a Florida Quad, a result of a diving accident, who gave birth naturally about a year ago. She was on "Birthday Live" the othernight, for a brief interview. The episode in June is her story of pregnancy and the birth.

If anyone has any questions on that interview, I'll respond. She did have some unique complications. I've become oddly addicted to that network, from "Trauma - Life in the ER" to "Birthday".

Thought some of you ladies might be interested.
    BeeBee

Hi,

I'm a pregnant quad - also from a diving accident! What were her "unique complications"?

TIA,
    Alissa
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

thanks i'll add it to my calender1

Me too--I might need the info someday.

Thanks BeeBee!
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

She had some extreme complications concerning AD. From Mid-pregnancy on, including post delivery (and the baby is now about 8 months old, I believe), she has been unable to sit upright without passing out. She stated that prior to pregnancy she was very independent, drove, etc. She's a C6, good arms, limited hands. The interview was conducted with her in her chair reclined. She said, otherwise, that things went very well. Normal delivery (she had an epidural), about 5 pushed and out he came. The baby was perfect, btw. Very cute and healthy. Expressed regret with being unable to care for him due to her continued inability to sit upright. They did not go into any of her other possible health complications (UTI's, pressure sores, etc. so this may or may not be a contributing factor). Her OB seemed knowledgable about her "special' condition.
    Also, no indication or mention of how her complications were being treated, PT or otherwise.
    BeeBee

Thanks Beebee. That sucks. I wonder if it was related to the epidural. I can definitely see AD being an issue at any time.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Alissa, the epidural should counteract any AD as it nullifies any reaction to pain. I had mine an hour prior to Savannah's birth. I didnt want to risk labour AD Plus the fact she was mainly breech, so i opted for a planned c-section. We foreplanned two dates, and I opted for the earlier, at 37.5 weeks as I was getting pretty uncomfortable!

As for AD during the pregnancy, I didnt encounter any only lots of kicking from within! I do however have mild sensation there so perhaps thats why it wasnt a huge problem. Oh and I had clexane injections daily for the added DVT risk throughout and up to 6 weeks after her birth.

Dont worry too much, just ensure your OB and anesthnitist are well clued up on AD and they will incorporate that into your delivery plan. PM me if I can help

All the best

The AD was before/after the delivery, not during. So not related to the Epidural or the delivery (normal delivry, btw). I've wondered if she has something else going on that has been elevated by the pregnancy and not diagnosed yet. UTI? Foot problem? pressure sore? Maybe the more indepth episode in June will make it clearer.
    BeeBee

Quote Originally Posted by alissa
    Hi,

I'm a pregnant quad - also from a diving accident! What were her "unique complications"?

TIA,
    Alissa
    Hey, Congrats on expecting, that is wonderful!
    Every day I wake up is a good one