Thread: intermittent frequent tinnitus

intermittent frequent tinnitus

I have a question for you all. First I will state my particulars for reference. I am currently awaiting an appointment with a Neurosurgeon. I have a central herniation pressing on the cord at C 5/6 and broad based posterior osteophyte pressing on the exiting nerves on both sides at C4/5. Syringomyelia at C7/T4 and T7/11 I also have a central bulging disc at L5/S1 that I believe has herniated since my last MRI 4 months ago. I say this because I now have severe leg pain in the sciatic nerve distribution 24/7 and have been unable to even do 10 mins on my eliptical machine on no tension without long lasting increase in pain. I currently take Baclofen 10mg 3x daily, 50 mg Amytriptyline at bedtime, 40 mg Losec daily, 50 mg Diclofenac 2x daily and T3 as needed 60 mg every 6 hrs. 1 Allegra daily.

Most recently I have had a change in symptoms. I have developed burning pain in my face on both sides, and I have frequent intermittent drumming in my ears and sometimes ringing. It comes and goes on for a few seconds and off for a few and is way worse when I lay down. I also have the sensation every few days that my eye balls are oscillating rapidly back and forth from side to side. I don't know if they are for real as it happens and only lasts a minute and by the time I call someone to check it has stopped. I don't actually experience the objects moving. I am wandering if this is important enough to talk to my Dr. about or if it is just one of those things that happens.There is no pain associated directly with this sensation. It just feels odd. Any ideas?

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya2
    I have a question for you all. First I will state my particulars for reference. I am currently awaiting an appointment with a Neurosurgeon. I have a central herniation pressing on the cord at C 5/6 and broad based posterior osteophyte pressing on the exiting nerves on both sides at C4/5. Syringomyelia at C7/T4 and T7/11 I also have a central bulging disc at L5/S1 that I believe has herniated since my last MRI 4 months ago. I say this because I now have severe leg pain in the sciatic nerve distribution 24/7 and have been unable to even do 10 mins on my eliptical machine on no tension without long lasting increase in pain. I currently take Baclofen 10mg 3x daily, 50 mg Amytriptyline at bedtime, 40 mg Losec daily, 50 mg Diclofenac 2x daily and T3 as needed 60 mg every 6 hrs. 1 Allegra daily.

Most recently I have had a change in symptoms. I have developed burning pain in my face on both sides, and I have frequent intermittent drumming in my ears and sometimes ringing. It comes and goes on for a few seconds and off for a few and is way worse when I lay down. I also have the sensation every few days that my eye balls are oscillating rapidly back and forth from side to side. I don't know if they are for real as it happens and only lasts a minute and by the time I call someone to check it has stopped. I don't actually experience the objects moving. I am wandering if this is important enough to talk to my Dr. about or if it is just one of those things that happens.There is no pain associated directly with this sensation. It just feels odd. Any ideas?

Tanya
    Tanya, I am glad that you are seeing a neurosurgeon. What you are describing is nystagmus. This strongly suggest that something is affecting your vestibular system. There are many possible causes, including an ear infection. However, it may also be related to problems with the brainstem and, given your other symptoms, I think that it is important that an experienced neurosurgeon evaluate you.

Wise.

Dr. Wise, Thank-you for your reply. I was worried it might be nystagmus but my knowledge of that symptom is limited to what I know about caregiving for those with brain injury etc... I didn't know if the subjective sensation could be enough to make that diagnosis. Most of the people with disabilities I have cared for, that had this symptom, were unable or never did describe the sensation. I wondered about the possibility of brainstem involvement. I wander if the SM has moved above my injury or if the compression is now worsening. At any rate I will go into see the Dr. ASAP. Maybe he can push the NS for an early appointment date. Thank-you.

Tanya

Dr. Wise, I went to see my Dr. today as I said I would do. I said I have been waiting to see a Neurosurgeon. In fact, I have waited for 3 months. Today when I went in about my newest symptoms as I described to you, my Dr. informed me that when he last called the NS office he was told by his secretary that the NS does not believe he can help me surgically. I was stunned. My MRI shows a herniated disc on my cord. An osteophyte pressing on my nerves coming out of my arms on both sides, Syringomyelia and a lumbar disc bulge at L5/S1. My Dr. says he believes that much of my neuropathic pain is being caused by the disc problems. He informed me today, that he thinks my SM is primary and not related to my Cervical cord injury. I am stunned and not sure how to get help. I live in London Ontario Canada. My Dr. said he will send me to someone else as this man didn't even examine me he said. He waited 3 months to tell me he won't see me.

I am completely non-functional due to pain and weakness. I have progressive symptoms of nerve compression consistent with the ulnar, median and sciatic distributions and now facial nerve pain. I can't drive, work, go to school I am a graduate student and have difficulty doing ordinary activities due to weakness and pain in my arms and legs. This has been going on now for a year!

I am wandering if you have any suggestions about what I should do next?

Tanya