Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to WWRC for rehab

Keep up the great work john anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love

MY lil' GB, good to hear from you...keep at it and remember there is an ebb/flow to everything, but progress will be made.

I know, I know you are so like me...I WANT IT NOW!!!

Hang in...

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

16th week at Woodrow Wilson.....

My 4th month at the "W". First, a big hello to Anty, and Queen, my favorite honey pies!! I am now using a neuromuscular stim system for my left ankle. So far it is doing well. I can some dorsal flexion on my own since starting this treatment. The ankle is still very weak when trying to move on my own, but it is at least moving. I am doing 30min. per day. We are still looking to get back to the litegait, so with this exercise and use of the mock-up rig for better dorsal flex, will see if I can similate a more normal walking gait. Had a very decent ride on the Ergys 2, went 30min at 3 K/p resistance at 32rpm. Max stim hit at 54%. The Leg Press machine did not improve, as I was stuck at 155lbs. The left leg weight did improve to 90lbs. I tried out a new type of stepper. Its an eliptical stepper called a Biodex. It offers a more varied exercise program, generating different degrees of difficulty. I tried my own workout regimen on it, and need more time on the machine to give a good comparison to Nu-Step. It does give a much smoother workout, a big plus. My ab workouts are still grinders, but results are there. I can now do a few sit-ups lying flat on my back, with no elevation from wedge. Out of a set of 25, 15 will be complete sit-ups. PT challenged me on this, and thinking no way this gonna happen...zoop!!! I was able to wiggle my way to a sitting position. So cool!!! I am also now trying the lovely Queen's exercise of lifting one arm and the opposite leg(with 6lb weight). This is really hard to accomplish. I can lift left arm, but not right leg, lift left leg, but not right arm when doing these. PT sez I is "unique". I jus got some funny wiring. Continue to try standing both in OT, looking for ways to correct wobbleness. Can only hang for about 30sec, then get floppy. I have been doing some standing in parallel bars, yet still cannot locate a stable position. Must be that big caboose. Now using 7lb dumbells for ab work on the big bouncy blue ball. These have proved very diffcult this week, never really got settled while doing military press and sidearm raises. I need better balance agin on these. The payoff on all these workouts is seen when using walker. I can now travel further distances without either tiring or having arms give out. We are still looking to get back into quad cane walking, shoulder and right elbow smarted badly doing these. Could need more strength work on these. Still using the Abductor/Adductor machine, and have increased resistance to 2-3-4 on the left,and 4-5-6(max) on right. Lots more work needed here to get these muscles stronger.And, last, I am continuing to reduce spaz meds. Using Cali's method, I have begun to reduce Dantrium to 6 pills/day. Flexeril has been successfully eradicated from the body. Also, would like to give Cory(Mr. Coffee) 2 fro reminding me that no matter big a pain in the ass it is to put on the leg brace, there was a time when I couldnt do it at all. Thanks, Cory. And, apologies for no photos, broke the camera. I thought digital stuff was impervious to ugly old farts, but I guess it aint bullet-proof. Phooey..........

The 16th we4ek at Woody's World...my how time flies.

You are really doing quite well GB, remember it was you who called
    yourself and "ol' fart!" HAH

And truth be known, you can already do 13 more set-ups than I can.
    I'm still numb in the "tum" so I don't know if I will ever have a completely
    flat tummy....there goes my dreams of a navel ring....bummer!

Just keep at it and know you got ppls pulling for ya in here!

Queen

ps. those arm...opposite leg exercises are pretty tough for me still.
    Getting in shape is no fun at all...hahaha but I like that feeling I have
    afterwards....
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

17th week at Woodrow Wilson......

Good news!!! Got an extension till July 28th. Still having gains, though small, in trunk muscles,as PT is observing a straighter posture while gait training . This is very cool to me. The curved spine issue has been a constant worry to me. The ab workouts are progressing ok, began using a lighter weight ball to challenge cross-over sit-ups and straight sit-ups. Still trying to free stand in OT, can now stand some for a few seconds with consistancy, yet loose balance with slight movement. What really stoked me was trying a neuromuscular stim pack on my left leg to make the knee raise while walking. PT would hit a button each time I stepped, giving similance to a 'normal' step. PT made an AFo out of soft plastic that is cast around my lower leg and foot. It is hinged, to give some flex while walking. So far this is working well, though it does put more weight on my arms. I still have difficulty with right leg bearing much of my body weight. Toghether with daily stim on left ankle for dorsal flex, we are addressing 2 major weaknesses of the leg. My leg press weight did increase gonzo. I pushed 175lbs, yet feebed later in the week. Pushing that weight though, gives great anticipation for the coming week. The Ergys 2 bike ride continues to progress. I finished the 39rpm level for 30 minutes at 3 K/p resistance. Truly maxed my sweat effort to keep max stim from hittn 100%. The Quad Machine, I increased slightly to 55lbs. These are really tough to get going. Need to buck up and push harder on these. Still doing my exercise with both the Biostep and Nu-step. Not sure which of these I favor. Did increase resistance on Nu-step to level 5. Continue to work on BIG BLUE BALL ....man I hate that thing. Jus no way of relaxing on it while using the dumbells. It probably is best trunck workout for me,cuz I is constantly trying to tighten muscles to stay put. Began using 10lb dumbells for last set of each exercise, which truly is a struggle to maintain any sense of balance. Did do better this week on Abuctor/Adductor machine, able to push the legs faster through the range of leg motion. Will increase resistance on both legs to see how it goes this week. And one last thing, I began my driver traning this week. I am using hand control for brake, but foot for gas. Instructor sez she aint never had this type of set up before, agin, I is unique ...........

graybeard--that's how my OTR/L had me drive initially too. Not that unique I suppose.

They can remove the "gas" bar from the hand control if you're going to be gassing with your foot. This will make it less bulky in the space under your steering column.
    Daniel

Groovy, Dan... I feel a bit more 'normal'. Glad to hear someone else can drive this way also.

GB: you must be doing exceptionally well. I can't wait for you to start posting some pics and videos of your progress, man.
    Daniel

So happy for you keep up your great work anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love

GB: i am trying hard to get there asap. it looks like i will have an Dept. Rehab. Services interview this week and may get there with in a month. fingers crossed. your posts make me anxious to get there asap, PT here in Va Beach is quite rutine kenisiology stuff that i can do anywhere. it sounds like you should still be there then when i get there this summer. c-ya pronto
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened