Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to WWRC for rehab

Back to WWRC for rehab

One year today, I cracked my back at work. Last time I walked was getting into the house and laying on the couch thinking I really pulled a muscle this time. Little did I know. Trip to hospital,x-rays,home take buncha muscle meds, back to hospital at 0130,cat scan,freaked doctor,helicoptor ride,2 operations in 2 days,3rd one a week later,and a year in the chair. What a year.

1st week at WWRC

The first week at WWRC has been great. I have been able to move left leg doing powder board workouts, both with hip flexes and knee flexes. My ankles are very stiff and require more stretching. They have also spotted a hip drop on my left side. They seem to think it may still be correctable. I am begining pool therapy, stim-bike, and driving w/adaptive controls next week. The most fun was using the leg press. I was able to push 50 lbs, which is pretty feeble, but ok for now. Scott,Robin, I'll pm ya'll with my cell-phone number to get in touch,see ifn we can meet up. That'd be great to meet ya'll.

2nd week at WWRC.....

This week is drawing to a close, and I have seen some continued,though not as much as hoped improvement. The pool was ok, I had hoped to be able to walk "normally",far from it. I didn't get to use the stim-bike,therapist didnt think am ready yet. No matter, she whupped my butt jus the same. I am using Nu-step as part of cardio program, and help with leg strength also. I pushed the leg press today,and now pushing 70lbs. Still not exactly "Manly-status",but an improvement. Continued work on the parallel bars,some betterment there. Also discovered legs aint strong enough to hold up a fat butt yet. Mighty wobbly,bojangles dancing on the bars. Will begin using the Vitaglide and various ube's and weight set-ups for upper body and cardio. Am really anxious to see what next week brings. When I go home this Friday, I will continue to use the Flexicisor to work on legs some. But, the REAL highlight of the week was meeting the Mr. Deadeye hisself. It was really cool to hangout with a cat the dont let the chair slow him down, a real treat for me this week. I cant wait to seperate Scott from the honeypies he has to "tutor" on Tuesday evening. I may have better luck finding a snowball in Florida!! Till then...

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard
    But, the REAL highlight of the week was meeting the Mr. Deadeye hisself. It was really cool to hangout with a cat the dont let the chair slow him down, a real treat for me this week. I cant wait to seperate Scott from the honeypies he has to "tutor" on Tuesday evening. I may have better luck finding a snowball in Florida!! Till then...
    Thanks GB, it was a pleasure to meet you as well. I'm sure we could continue the magic wheels conversation and discover some interesting facts about us both!

And you are SOOO right about Scott and the the new team of hot OT affiliates. You might have to smack him to get his attention. And by the way, behave with the OSU cutie there. She was a real sweetie. It was unreal how much she reminded me of my dear friend Jaime. God, I miss her

Off to Nashville for a few days next week but I'll see you again soon. There's a certain lady in admin I need to see again soon. REEEEEEAAAAL bad.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Hi graybeard
    Good luck on the braces again!! I want them so I'm following your progress!!!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Don't ya just feel "pumped" and exhausted when it's over tho...you certainly made extreme progress in my estimation, in just two weeks.
    So Graybeard give yourself some credit....and look at it this way....you've only just begun!!! I sure wish you the best, keep up the great work.
    If this old fart can get her keester back you can surely get your leg
    muscles back and oh yeah, don't forget your bum...that's a very important part of a man's anatomy for us chick's! LOLOLOL

Bet you didn't do this much exercise before your injury did ya!...Well, even
    at my ripe old age I find exercise invigorating!! It kills time and let's my mind wonder,,,eh, yah on the grocery list...sure!

Queen
    Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Little late on the anny...but keep us updated with the program GB...

Quote Originally Posted by Myc0
    Happy anniversary??? I don't think so. He's probably glad that he's still alive, but the injury anniv. is nothing to celebrate. I'll be at the 1 year mark in a couple of weeks, and Jesus Herbert Christ! The first year has been an infinite shit fest, if it doesn't get any better after this I'll be done with this sorry existence; and my only regret will be that I didn't end it sooner and save myself a world of degradation and pain.

Myc0,

I think coping skills get better but you never truly accept your injury, at least I haven't.

Sometimes it gets worse as times goes by because you realize how much of life you're missing due to lack of quality.