Thread: a conference on Physical Disabilities Through the Lifespan, July 21-22, 2003 at the Natcher Conference Center, National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD.

a conference on Physical Disabilities Through the Lifespan, July 21-22, 2003 at the Natcher Conference Center, National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD.

May 6, 2003

Dear Colleague,

The NIH and other federal agencies are holding a conference on Physical Disabilities Through the Lifespan, July 21-22, 2003 at the Natcher Conference Center, National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD. Your participation in this conference would be very valuable. Additionally, I would welcome suggestions from you as to other participants you would recommend and I would be happy to invite them personally.

In developed nations, improvements in health care have resulted in an unprecedented increase in the numbers of older individuals- and individuals with disabilities- who are living longer, more active lives.

This conference will focus on the special problems faced by individuals with physical disabilities across the lifespan as they seek more productive roles in society. The goal of the conference will be to set a research agenda to:

* Identify gaps in scientific knowledge about the special problems of aging for individuals with disabilities, and
    * Inform public policy on issues related to aging and disability.

Plenary sessions are designed to provide a common frame of reference for all participants on broad issues such as demography of disability, the biological processes of aging that affect all individuals, and consumer participation in research and policy.

Breakout sessions are constructed to address crosscutting issues that affect many disability groups, as well as issues specific to individual disability areas. The charge to each breakout session is to determine the questions that need to be answered to advance science and to inform public policy.

We hope to attract a diverse group of participants to include researchers, policy makers, advocates, and individuals with disabilities. We also encourage students to attend.

While we do not have sufficient funds to cover the costs of travel for participants, we have attempted to minimize costs for participants by imposing no registration fee. Participation is free and open to the public.

For a detailed agenda and to register:
    <http://physicaldisabilities.iqsolutions.com>

Thank you for your consideration and I hope to see you at the conference,

Michael Weinrich, M.D., Director
    National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research National Institute of Child Health and Human Development 6100 Executive Blvd.
    Room 2A03, MSC 7510
    Bethesda, MD 20892-7510
    Phone 301-402-4201 fax: 301-402-0832
    E-mail mw287k@nih.gov

"Participation is free and open to the public."

hmmmm The cost of hotels go down during the summer in Washington DC. Maybe some "public participation" can influence future research, like, say, how to walk at 45 after being paralyzed for 10 years?

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

I just noted this in my datebook...and I don't need a hotel either...

Nurse Mary

If people would like to sign up, I can send the names to Michael Weinrich so that you can get an invitation to go. It seems that this is the kind of conference that you could exert significant influence with your presence. What better to do on in July but to visit the heart of NIH? Wise.

Please add my name then Wise. Other than baking in the 90 degree heat and 95% humidity, the second half of my July is fairly empty.

Mary, also save the end of September. I'll post info on a conference MCV at VCU holds that you get CME's for attending and this year a major class is on SCI Nursing. It's in Virginia Beach and the kids will like it too--it's during Neptune Festival.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."