Thread: TENS placement and settings

TENS placement and settings

I've been searching the web for sites that show where to place TENS pads for shoulder blade pain and for abdominal pain, but I havent found any that show pad placement for those areas (I've found plenty that show placements for other painful areas.) Does anyone know where to place TENS pads for pain in these areas?

Also, I'd like to know how to adjust settings on the unit.

Thanks,
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

It is somewhat or a trial and error. put directly over the areas of pain.
    Start with the lowest number and if doesn't help, move higher in slow increments.

CWO

Hi, Alan - found this, it might be of use:

http://cerebrex.com/tens.html

Where did you get your unit? Can you call the company - perhaps they have some instructions that would be helpful? Also, maybe a referral to an OT/PT who has experience in TENS units? You could start 'backwards', and call some outpatient PT centers to see if they are indeed qualified, and then get your doc to make a referral in.

It is somewhat difficult to pinpoint an exact area, tho; we were using a TENS for muscle stim for my son; got the placement for wrist flexors/extensors and biceps just fine, but started trying to do the triceps, and even the therapists had difficulty placing them; so don't get frustrated - keep trying!

PS - I used his unit for some SI pain I had, and it was wonderful in alleviating the pain, and lasted for a day or two til I had to repeat the therapy.

mine had 4 pads and I was told to place the pads around the area of pain so the current would pass through the injured area.

So, lets say the current passed between pads 1 & 2, and pads 3 & 4.

Placement would be:
    1_______3
    __pain
    4_______2

had to add the lines, it compressed on saving.

Also, i found after a while I had to turn the intensity up to get relief. Then that stopped workin, so I would resituated the pads on another area of hurt for a while. My whole back, neck, and shoulder was tore up in my accident, so my tens pads roamed around like a traveling circus.
    Last edited by Jadis; 03-12-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Like Jadis, I move mine around like a band of gypsies -- lower back, hip, shoulders. Sometimes I use it in a square formation, and sometimes run a line from lower back up to the shoulder. What is important is to alternate the red and black electrodes. There are times when setting it at 10 works, and other times when I juice it up to 15. I'm leery of going higher, because I have all these blank spots. Sometimes I can't feel it, simply because I have the electrode on a blank spot. Which brings up a question. I was warned not to get it too high, but how high is too high? Why is there 100, if we are warned not to go there?

SoFla, I've found that I can't turn mine up past a certain point bc the muscles lock up and stay that way-which is the opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. Booger can wear it at double my intensity before his muscles lock up.

Maybe that's why there's a 100. Some people need 90 to get the same amount of relief that some of us can get at 20.

We've been doing the "pads in different places" thing, but we've been leery about playing with the frequency settings. Might have to check with a PT - my massage therapist doesn't know about TENS (I thought she might.)

Thanks for all the tips..
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.