Thread: Urine/Bladder Control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Urine/Bladder Control

I walk with a cane and am off balance, with a footdrop. Because of this, I tend to walk slow. Holding my urine is not on "my side". I have frequent accidents and barely make it to the restroom. What is your advise, when the saying is "drink 8 glasses of water a day"?

Time it for when you'll be home and near a bathroom. Go before strenuous activity .. twice in the morning ..

I mentally monitor how much I drink knowing the average bladder holds 500cc
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Reply to Lyniffer about Bladder Control

The problem is, I go to the bathroom 4/5 times in the morning.

Everyone naturally goes more in the morning - even AB's.

4/5 x's is quite a bit though. Do you drink coffee/tea? <--diuretic
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Response to Lynnifer on Bladder Control

I drink plenty of water a day.

Faye, I hate to tell you but I am almost 4 yr's now and it's just going to happen. sometimes if I walk really really slow I can hold it for a few second's but not being able to hold it..... we are going to have accident's. I wear a men's pad now and when it does I just throw it away and get another. you'll find out what works best for you after a while
    Doug

Have you tried an AFO for the foot drop?

Have you tried Detrol or Ditropan, Sanctura, Enablex? They help the bladder muscle relax and not contract which is typically what causes the urination.But when they wear off, you still don't have much time.
    Make sure you have no UTI which can cause you to have frequency.

CWO

Bladder Problem response to nurse.

I have tryed Detrol LA, with great success. I stopped taking this medication because of the bad side effects. I am still alble to drive and need quick reflexes and not be so sleepy. Not taking this medication has helped me greatly, no side effects. The alternative medication (herbs) are not as strong, and am changing my pad three times a day. What is the help? Are there any exercises to stengthen this area? Any other medication with less side effects? Another note: I am also taking 2 - 10 mg each of Baclofen, so taking 2 Detrol LA's was a double dose, since the meds. stay in my system till about 1:00 the next day. Double doses, recommended by my doctors.