Thread: Pain Pump... Doctor Wise... Anyone... I have questions PLEASE!

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania

Pain Pump... Doctor Wise... Anyone... I have questions PLEASE!

I realize Alan posted a question about this in another thread. However , there wasn't much information in their to answer my questions.

If anyone has had the trial or the pump or has any information regarding this please let me know.

I am not interested in a baclofen pump. Baclofen does not help my pain. This medication would be narcotic.

Has anyone had this procedure or the trial done with a narcotic?

I'm already taking 200 mg of morphine twice a day , which does not help my pain. I have also had two injections of steroids and anesthetic combination. That procedure also failed to relieve my pain.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, but looking for personal experience for the most part.
    Thank you everyone,
    Lori
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

Lori,

A medtronics pump can be used to deliver baclofen or morphine directly to the spinal cord and many studies have reported that both are more effective in treating pain than oral doses. A morphine pump, for example, can be used to provide baseline narcotic to your spinal cord and then you can use supplemental morphine or duragesic patches to treat breakthrough pain.

Several groups have tried various calcium channel blocker drugs, given intrathecally, particularly for somatic and visceral pain. One of these, ziconotide (an N-type calcium channel blocker) is approved by the FDA for pain treatment (Source). I have not heard of anybody with neuropathic pain from spinal cord injury take this drug. I know of one person with Arnold-Chiari syndrome and pain that had this treatment but I don't think that it was particularly effective for her.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinglamb
    I realize Alan posted a question about this in another thread. However , there wasn't much information in their to answer my questions.

If anyone has had the trial or the pump or has any information regarding this please let me know.

I am not interested in a baclofen pump. Baclofen does not help my pain. This medication would be narcotic.

Has anyone had this procedure or the trial done with a narcotic?

I'm already taking 200 mg of morphine twice a day , which does not help my pain. I have also had two injections of steroids and anesthetic combination. That procedure also failed to relieve my pain.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, but looking for personal experience for the most part.
    Thank you everyone,
    Lori

lori
    I have a pump started out for baclofen only which helped my burning pain some I

lori
    I have a pump started out for baclofen only which helped my burning pain some I have added morphine it has helped my joint pain but not helping the nerve pain side effects in pump way less than oral med
    John

i have a pumkp w baclofen, dilodid, bibucaine(long lastinng lidocaine), and chlonodine in it. check out my posting.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

iam going to pittsburgh on monday to have morphine added to my pump are there any thing i can do to get some relief any dos and donts to make this process better for me.ill let ya know it works next week.
    Last edited by DEAN57; 04-28-2006 at 12:31 AM.