Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin & weight gain

uuummmmm.........i'm betting the calorie content on a dose of any gaba-type drug is about zero. calories in, calories out. it's that simple. do physical things & put less food in your mouth. yes, i do take lyrica. 100mg 2-3x daily depending on how i'm feeling. i work hard & do allot. i'm pretty stable at around a solid 180-190lbs & very strong. i eat healthy food........

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    uuummmmm.........i'm betting the calorie content on a dose of any gaba-type drug is about zero. calories in, calories out. it's that simple. do physical things & put less food in your mouth. yes, i do take lyrica. 100mg 2-3x daily depending on how i'm feeling. i work hard & do allot. i'm pretty stable at around a solid 180-190lbs & very strong. i eat healthy food........
    Steve echos my skepticism about weight gains and blaming it on a med. It all boils down to whether or not you open the fridge and volitionally eat the calories and not being as active as you can. Even if there is a tendency to gain weight from a drug, all one has to do is be more vigilant about one eats and work that much harder to burn calories.

Neurontin (gabapentin) can help whit pain, and for some it helps. And if pain were the concern, weight gain wouldn’t be a concern (the weight gain and sleepiness, is hyped).

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    all one has to do is be more vigilant about one eats and work that much harder to burn calories.
    Okay.

And Arndog, pimping more led will fix you’re sci.

Gaining and losing weight is not all about calorie, it tells a lot about your hormone levels and who knows what else. I know that along time ago I tried to do too much weight and nothing would happen until he started to get testosterone supplements. It helps significantly. Maybe Neurontin does something with that.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    Gaining and losing weight is not all about calorie, it tells a lot about your hormone levels and who knows what else. I know that along time ago I tried to do too much weight and nothing would happen until he started to get testosterone supplements. It helps significantly. Maybe Neurontin does something with that.
    you can't gain weight from oxygen & water. i quit eating and lost 70lbs in 2.5 months..........i don't buy the hormone thing. is this "weight gaining hormone" isolated to the USA, because in my 3rd world travels i saw allot of people who must have been lacking this hormone..........look at Mr. Coffee in the exercise threads - he can't even gain weight. must be lacking hormones. OK - i'm off for a off road handcycle ride for a few hours to keep my hormones in check!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen63 View Post
    Just wondering why Neurontin causes weight gain? I take 600 mg 4xday. If anything, I eat less now than before my accident yet I've gained 20+ pounds! I know inactivity is part of that but it doesn't account for all of that weight. I've skimmed some of the threads here and see that a lot of people on Neurontin complain of weight gain. I guess my question is why does neurontin make us fat??! I'm T11/12 btw. Thanks.
    Maureen: I, too, am gaining weight on nuerontin and wondered if you have resolved any of your questions. Guess the only other thing I could try is Lyrica, but it has other side effects that may not work for me either. I have gained 20+ pound also and do not lose it no matter what diet i try (including practically starving myself). Nuerontin has otherwise been a wonderful drug for me (I have lupus, fibermayalgia, and neurothpy in my hands and feet) in controlling pain issues as well as a severe burning sensation in my hands and feet. Would love to hear back from you if possible, please!!!!!!!!!! I've never been this heavy in my life! Help me if you can. Thanks

I have been taking neurontin for seizures and have gained weight. My doctor is allowing me to start topamax and see how that goes. My question is this: how long does it take for the weight gain from neurontin to come off? I THINK I noticed the weight gain at a rate of about 1.5 pounds per week. Does anyone else have the same problem and hopefully have an answer that you can give me.

Thanks.

Neurotin / gabapentin and weight gain

I have been on Gabapentin for a month for meralgia and was told by my neurologist that I could get strong carb cravings from taking this- and boy did I ever. So the meds don't exactly cause weight gain, but carb cravings (if one succumbs to eating carbs- sweets in my case) can lead to weight gain. I decided to take the med only when the pain gets too unbearable. In the mean time, I am trying to get the weight off to lessen the pain of the meralgia.

neurontin

Help!
    I am new to this sight and not too understanding of it
    i have had a brain injury 12 years ago and was on topamax all those years
    a new doctor has prescribed neurontin and have had amazing results
    no more daily headaches and the seziers are done to 2-4 per month compaired to 2-3 per week
    It's the side affect I don't like I have gained 10 pounds in 3 months
    I don't want to go off the drug but I also can'nt keep up this weight gain
    i think that I also have more joint pain but they say neither of these are a side affect to be concerned with
    I am newly marrired and this weight is getting me a little depressed
    feeling les atractive
    if anyone can give me advice i would like to hear from you