Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Neurontin & weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by razzle51
    Neurontin also causes cavities .
    how so? interesting that you say that, since I now have 4 teeth that are literally falling apart.

I actually had to have 13 teeth removed, but I never thought it wasfrom my Neurontin. I did gain a lot of weight though. But I was also taking carbamazepine and I had diladad in my baclofen pump. As soon as I discontinued that, carbamazepine, it was really easy to lose weight. I've gone from about 250 to may be 180in a matter of four months. Of course I'm also eating a lot healthier and quit drinking soda, but I don't know if that would make that much of a difference.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Leif it will catch up to you.
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

wise post about Neurontin

Lengthy post , Is there a link we can find all that on. thanks
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

I gained over 100 lbs in 5-6 mo on Lyrica so I was switched to neurontin. I started to loose about 10-15 lbs but now gaining it back and then some. I have NO appetite and do not eat much so it must slow the metabolism down to keep this weight. I do crave sweets. Is this common? I am going to stop the neurontin myself over the next month and I hope this weight comes off. I have never been overweight in my life so this is really hard to accept. And I have a high school reunion in 4 months, Yipee, can't wait! NOT

Gabapentin

Hi there to you all from sunny Scotland.
    Since starting to take gabapentin several months ago my weight gain has been alarming, an unwelcome but perhaps necessary side effect I am told!
    Is it though?

I have been on Neurontin for about 8 years for my Fibromyalgia. I am 5ft tall and when I started taking the drug I was about 140, now I'm over 200lbs. I want to switch to Topamax... one of the major side effects is weight loss and it is FDA approved for migraines, which I get every other day. Nothing helps!!

Lyrica and Topamax

Hello, all!

New to the club, but I find all the posts quite interesting and helpful. I've recently been diagnosed with neuropathy by my endocrinologist (hypothyroidism), and he put me on Lyrica first, because he had free samples, which made me drunk feeling and I bumped into walls something terrible, then Neurontin and Amitriptyline, both three times a day, which has helped, but hasn't taken all the tingling away. So thankful, though, because my feet were "burning" something terrible at times. ALSO, in that short amount of time, I've gained 10 lbs of which I'm sick over. I'm a petite lady and have never had a problem with weight, so now it's definitely an issue. I've now begun, three days now, on Topamax, weening myself on it along with the other meds, and I already feel better. Another five days and I'll be on it three times a day along with the Neurontin and Amatriptyline, but the doc said I could play around with it and if I was feeling good, then try to eliminate the Neurontin, or some of it, if possible.

I have no idea why I have this, but it's terrible and I feel for everyone of you on this board. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope we can help one another with information.

Anybody with any great luck with Topamax without any bad side effects yet?

KK

Just wanted to add that Lyrica did work GREAT for me, but the side effects were more than I could stand. I've spoken to several people who have had the same results. Very sad to have a drug that works but to have those effects on a person.

I gained 40lbs on neurontin and then dropped it after I got off of it.