Thread: SCS - Anyone a member???

Question SCS - Anyone a member???

ok so theyve been on the go for years, and seem to have the right ideas. Anyone know any more?

http://members.aol.com/scsweb/private/scshome.htm

THANKS

I happen to be a member of the spinal cord society & many others, what can I tell you it seems like everybody is all the right track it's who is going to get their first... Would love to see Dr. wise get their first especially he is local for me. But I sure we would go where ever we have to get a repair and get us walking. It's just very frustrating trying to stay positive. No idea how I continue on every day.
    keiffer66

Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    I happen to be a member of the spinal cord society & many others, what can I tell you it seems like everybody is all the right track it's who is going to get their first... Would love to see Dr. wise get their first especially he is local for me. But I sure we would go where ever we have to get a repair and get us walking. It's just very frustrating trying to stay positive. No idea how I continue on every day.
    Keith,

Could you please let me know about the work that is being done by the SCS in regards to what types of cells they are researching, any animal success and when they hope to get to trials. Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up Scs

Dear Zokarkan:

I have been a member of their society for several years. I am impressed with the depth and breath of their research. They cover a lengthy laundry list of SCI concerns similar to the CRS. If you join (about $35/year) you get a bi-yearly 5 page article on their research highlights. They are due for another mailing soon. If you have a fax, I can fax it to you.

Cheers;

JJG

I was a member until they focused on building their own research lab and pouring all the money into Ft. Collins. In my opinion that was the wrong decision. I was more satisfied when they were purely a funding organization. One incident in particular worried me - there was a frantic newsletter asking for donations for a soon-to-be- announced clinical trial, I sent in some money, then a later issue announced they were opening their own research facility.

Also, purely my opinion, but they came across to me as a sort of a Spinal Cord 'cult.' Many of their newsletters took jabs at other researchers, or at the government and the world in general. Also, only 'members' can get the information in the newletters, which is of course legitimate from a copyright protection perspective, but serves to perpetuate the idea that it's "us against them", that is: SCS against the establishment.

I've said it over and over . . . . . .don't trust them, don't care for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ip
    serves to perpetuate the idea that it's "us against them", that is: SCS against the establishment.
    I see this in many organizations and even here on CC. I like the SCS, they don't have to deal with conflicts of interest, slowing things down.

It makes sense for them to have their own facilities; it gives them independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Allieballie
    It makes sense for them to have their own facilities; it gives them independence.
    No. A lease gives independence. A new facility provides assests and a return on donations/contributions. Pure business.

You want the best bang for your donation buck? I am willing to wager there are some affluent SCI people in the Denver, Co. area that would have donated research facility space for results. This is the ski capitol area of the world, where the Craig Rehab Facility is located. Think about it.