Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rosacea ? Reoccurring rash?

rosacea ? Reoccurring rash?

I have recurring rash with flaky eyebrows, beet red burning sides of nose, burning red cheeks, Corners of mouth, and chin. This usually responds to a few days of steroid cream. I use sunblock. This is really irritating! Any other suggestions?

A friend of mine has Rosascia and uses Aveeno for the occassional outbreak? It comes in shower gel, soap bars, moisturizer, skin cleanser etc.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

David, could it be eczema? I have this on my face, and it sounds similar to what you describe. Does your rash itch severely too?

Sounds a lot like my seboric dermatitis, my doc's have a charming nick-name for it, quad crud! I have it on my face, eyebrows, nose, checks, chin, and both ears. Sometimes it makes my ears itch like hell! I have been told that for most people that the use of steroid is the normal treatment. I have to use that and the rx, ketoconazole cream and shampoo. I have noticed that mine tends to go in cycles, I've also been told that seboric dermatitis cannot be cured, if you have it, you'll always have it. If anyone knows a better treatment for it please let me know! There are days the skin on my face is flaking and peeling so bad that I won't leave my house.
    Linda H.

Skin diseases are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat. You may need different medications or treatments, and your diet should also be explored. If you have not see a dermatologist yet, I would strongly recommend you see one and get an accurate diagnosis and the correct treatment.

(KLD)

KLD, I have seen a dermatologist, and he told me that seboric dermatitis is a fungal infection. I hope David can see one soon. I am curious about what effect a persons diet can have over facial skin problems? That's not something I have heard about before, outside of what they used to say about acne.
    Linda H.

Sounds like seborrhoeic dermatitis to me. Common in places where oil is.
    In babies it is called cradle cap.It is believed to be a reaction related to apoliferation of a NORMAL skin inhabitant (yep,we all have yeast on our skin), a yeast called Malassezia and people with it seem to have a reduced resistance to yeast.
    Seborrhoeic dermatitis is not contagious or related to diet, but it may be aggravated by illness, psychological stress, fatigue, change of season and reduced general health.

CWO

Pic is backpacking Alaska '93. How about 2012?
    I don't know if it's seb dermatitis, but if I get flaky eyebrows or flaky skin in the crease of my earlobes, an oral antifungal (diflucan, ketaconazole, and there's another one shot pill) does the trick. Regularly taking a good pro-biotic supplement and eating low sugar helps keep it at bay. Yeast/candida feeds on sugar. Undecenoic acid (or so--Thorne SF722) is supposed to promote healthy gut flora, which seems to me important to healthy skin flora, but it's hard to take all the little capsules they suggest; they get stuck in my throat.

Taking neurontin very markedly gave me rosacea.

I have rosacea also. Just one of those things a blonde might have to put up with.
    I have never heard that Neurontin caused it but there are numerous possible causes. I have heard the use of steroid creams can be one cause.
    Mine flares up after lunch each day no matter what. But no flakey skin.
    Antibiotics and antibiotic gel help.Rosacea is not caused by yeast that I know of.
    I particularly don't like looking like Rudolph. I don't mind the sunkissed look.

If you search on google, there are many sites that have pictures of all of these with symptoms.
    Your family doctor might be able to treat and if he can't a dermatologist would be best.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Sounds like seborrhoeic dermatitis to me. Common in places where oil is.
    In babies it is called cradle cap.It is believed to be a reaction related to apoliferation of a NORMAL skin inhabitant (yep,we all have yeast on our skin), a yeast called Malassezia and people with it seem to have a reduced resistance to yeast.
    Seborrhoeic dermatitis is not contagious or related to diet, but it may be aggravated by illness, psychological stress, fatigue, change of season and reduced general health.

CWO
    CWO, thank you, for the spelling correction, and it was a yeast infection my dermatologist said he thought is the cause. I do suffer from memory gliches, thanks to some of my meds, although spelling has always been a problem for me. Cradle cap, sure sounds better than quad crud,lol. By what you've written it would seem as if I'd be having problems with yeast infections of the female nature, which I don't. I've gotten it under control on my scalp, now if I can do likewise with my face and ears I'll be a happy camper.
    Linda H.