Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why do you want kids?

I guess it depends on what you find joy in. I do not think my life would be any harder with a little one running around versus none. To see how much they change and grow every day is just amazing to me. But like Carrie and others have said I have almost always been around children therefore I think it is ingrained in me. I can't imagine passing up the big hug, the kiss, and the I love you Aly from my niece.

As for free time, what the hell is that? I'm not sure I have had any of that in years. Carrie that pic is adorable
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark

Get a helper monkey too. But seriously, to have kids so that when they get older and "stronger" they'll be able to help you with your SCI doesn't seem, at least to me, to be the proper reason for having kids. Fathers help raise and nurture their children, not the other way around. Especially in our society. In poor, third world countries that's one of the main reasons (it's a form of old age Social Security) for having children, and lots of them, but not here in the US and most modern countries.
    You missed the point I was trying to make, but there is always some
    asshole trying to twist my words.

I didn't have a dad, but I had my grandfather. From the age of 10
    on up to my injury, I was his right hand. I helped him with everything
    and it was a great experience.

Hope you can twist this one around too, asshole.
    Word to your mother

This forum is going up in flames hah.

But i do want kids as well! Just watching them grow would be exciting like little sea monkies! wee
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I had my two boys before my accident, my first when I was 24. I'm so happy I did. They're beautiful. They fill me with a sense of pride, accomplishment and they'll carry on my name and a part of me when I pass on. And they're the only two people I know that don't look at me any differently after my accident. I'd love to have more kids if I find the right girl. People with SCI want kids for the same reasons AB people want kids. Wait until you're 30. You'll see.

Many more pictures.
    Last edited by christopher; 03-07-2006 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pianodave
    I guess I can believe ABs when they say parenthood is the best thing to happen to them. But SCIs wanting to be parents? I would personally rather go out and live the best I can, instead of staying at home and raising a child.
    Piano Dave,

You are so incredibly off-base on all of this.

I get to speak from a unique perspective here. My wife was about 5 months pregnant with our first child when I had my accident. My injury is at T-9, so I'm not that far off from you.

Having Ryan in my life is the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me. I am living the best I can. Every day I get to watch my son grow up. I get to see him smile when I roll into the room. I get to play with him, toss him around, crawl across the floor after him. He points at me and yells "Da!!" You can't beat that. He rides around on my lap like he's a king. He's just learning to walk now. Am I jealous? Absolutely! But I'm also so damn proud. I can not imagine not having him in my life.

I refuse to let my SCI stop me from making the best of things. Just because things are harder or there are limitations doesn't mean that I'm going to be afraid to try. Your whole post is littered with phrases like "awful situation," and "so much was taken away from your ability to be independent." It seems like you're already giving up. You're injured, get over it. Move on with your life and stop being afraid of things.
    T8 complete - 9/4/04

originally a duplicate post, but for the heck of it, here's another photo...
    Last edited by bikerdave; 03-07-2006 at 05:43 PM.
    T8 complete - 9/4/04

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nasty
    You missed the point I was trying to make, but there is always some asshole trying to twist my words..
    Yeah tough guy, always someone trying to twist your words around and make you look the fool. Poor you. Next time don't try to make a point, just fuckin' make it, it won't be "missed" and no one will be able, as you claim, to "twist" your words around.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
    I didn't have a dad, but I had my grandfather. From the age of 10 on up to my injury, I was his right hand. I helped him with everything and it was a great experience.
    Boohoo about your daddy. Mine was an abusive alcoholic who was murdered in my house when I was 14. We lived with the stink of his putrefied blood on the carpeting for months. Life's tough, ain't it? Wanna compare dick sizes too?

Very touching story about your grandpappy, but what good have you done lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
    Hope you can twist this one around too, asshole
    Typical namecaller. You don't have a responsive reply to what I wrote so you namecall. I in effect question your stated motives for bringing a child into this world and you get upset and lose your temper. Not very desirable fatherly traits. Let's hope your genes stay in your jeans for the sake of Bucky Jr., daddy's little personal gofer to be.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

What makes people happy varies, but I wouldn't let a SCI stop you from having kids if you wanted them before or want them now. Personally, I was always the youngest and haven't been around kids much. I never dreamed of the whole wedding, family, kids scenerio like a lot of little girls do. It doesn't mean I don't want it...it doesn't mean I do. Whatever happens, happens. Right now I have no desire for kids, but have two handsome little nephews I adore. Just because you don't have kids doesn't mean your life will be incomplete. Remember, everyone is different.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    Boohoo about your daddy. Mine was an abusive alcoholic
    Very sorry to hear about your father, i'd have been an alcoholic to if
    I was your dad. Later
    Word to your mother

Can we keep the flaming from poisoning every Goddam topic in these forums please? Thank you.