Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act and W2W Rally in Washington

Quote Originally Posted by poonsuzanne
    I have made reservations with the Hilton Hotel and have bought plane tickets for myself and my friend, Monica, to come to Washington DC to support this most meaningful event.

Suzanne
    Suzanne,

How wonderful it will be to see you and Monica, again!!

Susan

Suzanne,

It will be good to see you again and Monica as well. I plan on attending the Sunday Symposium, working at the hospital Monday, and attending the Rally for sure on Tuesday. Have a safe trip. Mary
    1FineSpineRN

The couple were key figures in championing research into spinal-cord paralysis cures through the Christopher Reeve Foundation. After his death in 2004, she took over the foundation, which also promoted stem-cell research. She founded a paralysis resource center named after her and Mr. Reeve to help those living with paralysis.
    There is nothing controversial about that

Don't forget to Register

Don't forget to register, everyone:

http://www.unite2fightparalysis.org/...gistration.htm

Thx,
    Susan

Suzanne - looking forward to seeing you again. Safe travels.

sentiments on upcoming symposium and rally

hello all --

I'd like to start off first by thanking and acknowledging all the hard work and dedication of the organizers and supporters of the rally/symposium. I really wish that I could physically afford to take the trip down... I've been on this constant seesaw of fighting infection and after hour thinking about making the travel(many sleepless nights) -- I decided that it be best that I stay home and try to support everyone going spiritually and vocally.

I also want to try to add that I'll be doing everything that I can to try to push for the CRPA locally and with friends on close state borders. I'm going to send out special DVD copies of an interview about paralysis that I participated in last year... (it can't hurt) which spoke mostly of the rally and the CRPA -- directly to the Senate health committee members. And I will have an editorial on the importance of the CRPA, the Reeve's legacy and compassionate science-- published at the local level. Pre-rally.

Recently, I also read an article by Dr. Groopman entitled "the Reeve factor" and found these quotations about patients/scientist symposium from Chris himself to be both visionary and empowering. I felt similar after attending last year's Christopher Reeve Paralysis symposium in Boston. (basically don't be afraid to ask questions)

"Reeve has begun to confront scientists directly, speaking at major conferences about his concerns. Recently, he gave a speech at a meeting of neuroscientists, and said, “I would really like it if, on your way home from the laboratory one evening, you would stop by a rehabilitation center, and watch those people lying on mats, trying to move an arm, or even just a finger, or trying desperately to sit up. And then take that vision back with you to work the next morning.”

Such exhortations don’t always charm his audience. “You know, a lot of the scientists were very offended by that speech,” he recalled. “They were offended that I would tell them how to do their work. They were offended by the implication that they didn’t care. But what I’m saying is that some are not working fast enough.” Reeve doesn’t mind if he comes across as irritating or even bullying. “I have nothing to worry about with respect to their reactions. My injury taught me to throw caution to the winds in terms of what I say. It’s extremely liberating, actually. Because, really, what do I have to lose? There is not much more you can do to me.” "

http://www.jeromegroopman.com/reeve.html

but these quotes also show how far the relationship between scientists and patients have come -- personally, I feel they are much closer and symbiotic than Chris had felt just a few years ago. For those who have not attended a symposium... I figured I'd add a link to a recent video I received from CR F. from this past symposium for others to get an idea what to expect -- I found it to be enlightening, hopeful ... but also heartwarming to meet others dedicated to curing paralysis.
    Here's a link to that video... featuring many carecure members....
    http://streamed.wired.md/display2.pl...essButtons=yes
    (approximately 15 minutes)

I really look forward to all the good news and energy coming out of the rally -- I'll be keeping my eyes peeled on these pages in the coming weeks.

All the best --
    chaz

Chaz, Bigbob smiled when he read your post. Yes, Reeve was open and frank, maybe he too would have been banned from CareCure. Afterall, my dad thinks he was a great communicator, sad how some want to remember him for what suits themselves.

howdis- I find it (not so shocking) to read that the scientists and researchers who were behind Christopher Reeve from the beginning are also the ones who are participating directly at the symposium....all of their names are mentioned --it's almost like he's calling from above bringing like minds together.

yes -- it is amazing how open, frank and fearless Chris was.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramater
    Suzanne,

It will be good to see you again and Monica as well. I plan on attending the Sunday Symposium, working at the hospital Monday, and attending the Rally for sure on Tuesday. Have a safe trip. Mary
    Mary,

So happy to be meeting you again! I will try to attend the symposium and participate in the rally in the most diligent manner I could. I really want to learn about the latest SCI news and development from all the speakers present.

Suzanne
    Suzanne

Chaz,

I am sorry to hear about your state of health and, unfortunately, will not be meeting you and your supportive family this time. Hope to see you next year! Most of all, thanks for sharing the sentiments on upcoming symposium and rally!!

Suzanne
    Suzanne