Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act and W2W Rally in Washington

Can't you just feel the love?
    1FineSpineRN

Anyone else going from Texas?

If anyone else from Texas is going to the rally, e-mail me at wrichards@houston.rr.com . I have appointments with Senator John Cornyn office, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison office, and Tom Delays office already confirmed for the afternoon after the rally (2 p.m., 3 p.m., 4 p.m., respectively). Tom Delay's office is asking for names of visitors who will be attending, so shoot me an e-mail if anyone wants to go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl R
    If anyone else from Texas is going to the rally, e-mail me at wrichards@houston.rr.com . I have appointments with Senator John Cornyn office, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison office, and Tom Delays office already confirmed for the afternoon after the rally (2 p.m., 3 p.m., 4 p.m., respectively). Tom Delay's office is asking for names of visitors who will be attending, so shoot me an e-mail if anyone wants to go along.
    Carl, this is a great and important idea... for people to start planning the groups for the visits to their representative/senator offices. Thanks so much. Wise.

Looking forward to seeing many of you in D.C.

Stay inspired, stay motivated and we'll kick some a**.

Onward and upward
    www.working2walk.org

Tonight I hoped to had made an impact on others during this networking event. I gave out flyers and showed pictures from last year to get other aware of what we're trying to do. It's amazing with all the t.v. hype a few people didn't know who Dana was, and some cloudy to who Christopher was. I was a bit shocked but later realized a majority of those networking, probably had strict up bringing, studied hard, work constantly and don't have time for television. It made me realize how important an advocate is. I think I talked to over 20 people and learned how much we need each other as one. Well comrades, talk soon

Some Pictures

http://professirx.com/images/blacknjmarch/

If anyone from Missouri would like to email me or mail me your stories, I would be glad to present them to Senator Bond and Senator Talent. I have appointments with both and would be glad to share your story . My email is judykerp@yahoo.com address is Judy Kerperien RR 1 Box 387 Campbell, MO 63933

Reeve's causes must go on

Editorial published in the Toledo Blade

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...316/-1/OPINION
    Reeve's causes must go on

Article published Monday, March 13, 2006

Dana Reeve's death last week from lung cancer stunned and saddened the nation. When the 44-year-old widow of actor Christopher "Superman" Reeve died at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Medical Center in New York, her death refocused national attention on the disease that killed her, because she didn't fit the stereotype.

When she was diagnosed with lung cancer last August, Ms. Reeve was not a smoker. Although lung cancer's victims are usually older men who smoke, doctors say one in five women who never smoked is diagnosed with lung cancer.

While cancer deaths in this country are fortunately on the decline, lung cancer still claimed more than 158,000 lives in 2004, says the National Center for Health Statistics. The Lung Cancer Alliance says more American women die from lung cancer than from breast cancer. It's also shocking that more than 60 percent of new lung cancer patients either never smoked or have quit smoking, the alliance says.

Ms. Reeve was a singer and actress in her own right. However, she is best known as the devoted caregiver for her husband after he was paralyzed in a horse-riding accident in 1995. In making that decision, she lifted the status of caregivers, and became a source of inspiration for others who care for disabled loved ones.

The couple were key figures in championing research into spinal-cord paralysis cures through the Christopher Reeve Foundation. After his death in 2004, she took over the foundation, which also promoted stem-cell research. She founded a paralysis resource center named after her and Mr. Reeve to help those living with paralysis.

The Reeves are gone, but their causes must live on. More research is required to better understand why women who never smoked are diagnosed with lung cancer. Support for paralysis research and for caregivers must not be allowed to subside.

Congress can best honor their memory by finally taking action on the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act, introduced in 2003, with Ohio Congressman Sherrod Brown as its chief sponsor. The bill would advance research, rehabilitation, and quality of life programs for paralyzed people and their families. That would be a fitting tribute to the lives of Dana and Christopher Reeve, two very remarkable people.

Thx, Wise. Wouldn't it be great to get editorials like this published around the nation in advance of the Rally on May 2nd?

John Smith, Steven Edwards, anyone else--how can this be accomplished?

I have made reservations with the Hilton Hotel and have bought plane tickets for myself and my friend, Monica, to come to Washington DC to support this most meaningful event.

Suzanne
    Suzanne

Dear Organizers,

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!! I would be more than happy to do my part.

Suzanne
    Suzanne