Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Cannot Believe...

I haven't seen "The March of the Penguins" yet but will when it comes on PPV. But I saw a National Geographic documentary about the emperor penguins about a year ago. Maybe the movie was made from some of the same footage. Not an easy job for the filmographers. Man, it's cccccold way down there.

And not to get on the quad rugby coach again but he could take a lesson from those male emperor penguins. They cuddle that precious egg on their feet and under their warm fur and off that cold snow in the worst of conditions as though it was gold. Then treat their offspring with the attention they deserve without criticizing or being overly jugdmental of them. Forgive my judgmental attack.

A toast to the male emperor penguin and to his trustworthy and nourishment providing lifelong female partner. Here, Here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Landon
    Murderball was a great documentary. I appreciate it, but I play rugby, the sport does nothing but good for quads. As a result, its brought many quads out of hiding and given them the ability to play team sports again. All of my rugby experiences are awesome and I've made lifelong friends. Hopefully this will give some of you a look at the positive rather than critiquing the way the movie was made.
    I enjoyed the movie/documentary. It was just those two (IMO) weirded-out participants in it that grated on my nerves. But I'll get over it! I would have appreciated learning more about the other individual players and how they manage their lives at home and how they're able to pay for their equipment and travel/motel/food expenses etc. International travel isn't cheap.

It only makes sense that the US should have the best team. It has a much larger pool of players to choose from. Canada has a population of only 32 million and New Zealand a mere 4 million. The robust US has almost 300 million. Something to consider.

You're so right about quad rugby being a great source of camaraderie for quads and a source of sporting entertainment and exercise for them. And a focus for many quads who might, as you said, just give up on life and hibernate in their homes.

I've never been an organized team sport player so don't understand all the pep talk stuff and yelling and screaming but that's what they do in all team sports so it's just natural I guess. I used to be an avid golfer and that kind of behavior isn't tolerated on a golf course or in the locker room!

I'm glad quad rugby is giving you so much pleasure.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

The Oscars were "crashed" last night.

Maybe Murderball would've done better if it was narrated by Morgan Freeman. Dude could read the telephone book and it's an oscar-worthy performance!

I liked Crash.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher
    Maybe Murderball would've done better if it was narrated by Morgan Freeman. Dude could read the telephone book and it's an oscar-worthy performance!

I liked Crash.
    I thought that was James Earl Jones.

Darth Vader reading a story about Penguins?

Heh.

[insert breathing noise here]

I liked them both but March of the Penguins was a smash hit. Murderball, as much as I love it, was not.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher
    Darth Vader reading a story about Penguins?

Heh.

[insert breathing noise here]
    LOL... Darth and Pingu... talk about an odd couple.

Landon, I'm in no way dissing quad rugby. I wish I could play, but my bones break too easily. Exercise and team sports can contribute to an increased sense of well-being. No doubt.

While Murderball was entertaining, it was not Oscar quality. It was more Real World and Road Rules than documentary.

I'm not downing quad rugby. It's just that the movie was poorly made even if the subject rox.

It wasn't necessarily the subject matter that turned me off, rather it was the fact that the film's subjects were nothing less than terrible people solely devoted to juvenile "I'm better than you athletic achievement" which really doesn't do any good for anyone except themselves. And just to show that I'm not some non-athlete dissing athletes, ask me about my 2002, 2003 and 2004 wins in the ISAF Solo Offshore Distance Championships(offshore singlehanded yacht racing), or my first places in the 100 and 50 metre freestyle in US Swimming age group nationals in 01 and 02, or even the type of skiing that put me in a chair. From the aspect of the filmmakers it's rather simple, it takes no skill to sit in dumpy high school gyms and other places and film a game, though Antarctica is clearly more demanding, believe me, I have been there, it is far more amazing than any sport could ever be.

I haven't seen March of the Penguins so I can't really comment on that, but even though I liked Murderball, I have to say I was disappointed also. It was, like Mem said, more of a RR or RW type film.

On another note--about the 'characters' in Murderball--they aren't 'characters.' They were doing a film on quad rugby and they had no obligation to support or advocate stem cells or anything along those lines. Of course, it would have been nice if they did, but it wasn't their obligation. They are athletes and may not be into the science world--who are we to badger them for that?
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski