Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Kidney & Bladder Stones [Gabapentin]

Hi All,
    First time poster here so bare with me.Let me just say what a releif it was to find this site, now at least I can search for some answers.
    I popped on the net today to see if I could find some answers to my re accuring bladder stones and found this thread.
    I go in every 12-14mth to have mine removed and they are just a never ending drama for me.I have an IDC and have been in a chair for the past 12yrs and have always suffered from stones since my accident but have noticed that they have become significantly worse since starting neurontin 2yrs ago, I am now having my cath changed every 9-10day instead of every 3-4 weeks which is an absolute pain.I also take Dantrium for spasms and at a recent appt with my urologist he was saying that taking the two drugs together can cause an increase in calcium.
    I also take cranberry caps, garlic, vitamin C and Hiprex everyday, can't really say if any of these are having much of an effect but are probably helping in some way.I know that having a healthy bladder means that the ph levels need to at the correct level at all times but it is so hard to find that happy medium with all of the other drugs that we are on.
    I will definatley we going out tomorrow REMOTE and getting the ingredients for you cocktail, I am open to any and all sugguestions so thanks for yours.
    I started working out at the gym 8mths ago as my urologist sugguesting using exercise to try and distribute the calcium to area's where it is needed more rather than the bladder, but again as of yet I can see no improvement.
    My UTI's are few and far between until I start to get really bad stones, then the stones themselves start to become infected and the viscous cirlce of events start.Oh the joys!
    What are the dosage sugguestion for taking Vit C, I am only on 1000mg a day and by the sounds of I should perhaps be taking more so what would you all suggest would be a suitable dose for me?
    I am will to try whatever and hope that we all get rid of these darn stones sooner rather than later.
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Remote
    Haven't had a chance to see the doctor. However, am sure you guys are right.. it's magnesium. Question then.. why is body not using the calcium and the mag? Both are needed for healing and other things. What causes are there where the body doesn't process them??

Remote
    Hi Remote,

I live in N. Central Florida and get my water from a private well that draws water from an aquafer. An aquafer is like a large underground flowing river. Well the sides of the aquafers here in Florida are limestone (and other substances/minerals etc.) so there's lots of calcium from the limestone in my water. I believe there's a quite a bit of magnesium in it too. I've tested it with a swimming pool pH test kit and it goes off the chart at 8.0 (alkaline) so may be as high as 9 or 10.. I don't know.

I've been drinking it unfiltered (one of these days I'll have a filter installed!) for 16 years (tastes great) but I guess I'm just not prone to stones. At least not yet. I also go through a bottle of Tums (calcium carbonate) every month too.

So you may want to have your water tested and if it shows signs of the minerals that your stones consist of, perhaps start drinking filtered or bottled water. But have that stuff tested for its mineral content too.

Best of luck.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

W4Me.. add a teaspoon of lemon juice to concoction. Forgot in original post and can't edit it. Anyway, keep at it. The herbal shouldnt interfere. Not with what you're taking. Myself, they found a left-over stone they wanna take out on a out-patient op. Gonna wait until later. Not sure what 'I'll try yet but whatever I'll let everyone know. Exercise.. thought about it as I need to gain weight. Should help but who knows if calcium will be used more. Guess we all have to keep trying and watching ourself.

Bob: Only drink bottled water.. 2.5 gallon size. Arrowhead most of the time. Guess I'll ak Doctor next time what she thinks.

Remote

PS: Check http://www.uriflow.com as I've been looking at it. I might go for it if I can swing the money.

Remote..Thanks for the reply, I just got online to check that I have the ingredients right for your cocktail and have checked out the link for the uriflow, thanks heaps I have emailed them about the uriflow as I am in australia and asked if they can ship it overhere will wait and see but hey it sounds promising for sure, I'd give anything a go and this point(maybe not anything).Just out of hospital this morning after a couple of days stay, had a rigid cystoscope done to remove stones and have had a five day course of IV antibiotics, sick to death of these damn stones as you could imagine, so I'm soooo glad that I found this site because the info in invaluble, testimonials speak for themselves, things might look good on paper but there is nothing better than hearing it from the horses mouth so to speak.I hope that finances allow you to give the uriflow a go, keep me posted if you do and let me know how you go and I'll do the same if I can get some.
    Thanks again for your help its appreciated
    W4Me

Wink

You are correct in saying that magneusium and calcium are needed for many things. However, our body tends to excrete the "excess" through our kidneys. When anyone stops weight bearing they are prone to having calcium "leak" from their bones- causing osteoporosis. Aging will also add to that. Also, if you take in a lot of calcium like eating a lot of dairy products it might contribute to the stones.

The best way to prevent them is to stay as active as you can and DRINK like a fish!! THere is no guarantee that this will stop them from forming, but it tends to at least slow them down.

There is also research saying that staying away from excess calcium helps to prevent stones, but there is research saying that it does't matter. I would however look at my diet and see how much I generally eat that has calcium in it.

CKF

Just wanted to add all of the things that I have tried without any success.
    Never have any dairy, don't like cheeses and stopped drinking coffee 2yrs ago in the hope that cutting out that little bit of milk everyday would help but so far no good.
    Bladder washouts x 2 daily with acidic acid, leave it in the bladder clamped off for around 10 mins, is supposed to help dissolve the stones...hasn't worked.
    Workout at the gym for 10hrs per week
    I usually have my cath changed every 9-10days because the whole length of the cath by that stage is usually just full of grit and when changing the cath the balloon is always completely covered in egg shell stones.
    Its the only time I'm thankfull that I can't feel pain down there because I can only imagine the pain in my urethra when it comes out.
    My diet is what I consider to be pretty good, meat a lots of veg and usually fruit for lunch.
    I drink around 4litres of water a day.
    Always have the stones analysed when they are removed and they always come back that they are just calcium oxate.
    Before I was dischared yesterday my urologist said that he wants me to consider a SP, which I'm more than happy to have but is there anything to say that the stones won't be as bad with a SP because I don;t want to be changing it every week or so as well.
    The only times I ever get a UTI is when the stones are becoming big, in the past 12mths I have had 2 so its not like I have them every other month or anything.
    If anyone could give me info on a SP in my case I would appreciate it, thanks.
    I know that some of us just produce a lot more calcium than others and I'd be a rich man if I could work out why and what to do about it....but that aint gonna happen...ha
    Oh I forgot to say that prior starting the gym I had a calcified lump on the side of my outer upper thigh, was about 5 inches long by and inch or so wide, was the side that I always slept on at night anyway since starting the gym it has gone.My dr wanted to surgically remove it so the gym has paid off in that area I think, maybe that info will help someone else because I know that calcification is common forming on bones with SCI's.
    Look forward to hearing from anyway that can give me some insight to a SP with stones.
    W4Me

Let's of interesting info from everyone. I will try to answer your questions about the sp tube. Probably one of the reasons your urologist is suggesting a sp tube is because the catheter that is used is larger. The thinking (and experience says) is that the catheter will not plug as often and you will not need to change it as frequently. You may still have to do all the other care. An added "bonus" is that the tube is easier to insert since the stoma (or opening) is larger.

In the past, sp's were done more frequently. Given that you are already using an indwelling catheter, it may be a good idea to try a sp tube. It is reverseable so if you don't like it or it doesn't work, it can come out and will heal in a short period of time.

Any other thoughts out there?

CKF

Have you tried using Renecidin instillations (not irrigation) once daily through your catheter (instead of acetic acid irrigations, which usually does little...we never use it any more)? We often use this for people who seem to clog their catheter too quickly (for us, that is more often than every 3-4 weeks).

(KLD)

Hi and thanks for the quick replies SCI nurses,
    I currently use an 18 gauge cath but when the stones are starting to get worse I change to a 20 gauge, what size do they normally use for a SP does anyone know?My urologist is saying that the incidence of UTI would be a lot less with a SP but from what I've read from several posters this doesn't seem to be the case alot of the time any thoughts on this yourselves.
    Also re the irrigation I haven't heard Reneciden Instillations could you please let me know what it is and what it entails that would be great.
    My mum is also in a chair and gets a lot of kidney stones so I'm assuming that some of it is in the genes with the added bonus of caths etc adding to the problem more so.
    Thanks again for the info it all helps beleive me.

BTW REMOTE,I had your cocktail lastnight and must say it wasn;t at all that bad, nearly choked on the viniger at the bottom of the glass(didn't stir it first...haha) but yeah it wasn't too bad at all will hopefully see some results from it, will keep you posted.

Wink

The gauge of the sp catheter is usually 26-28french foley- it's pretty big. You still have a catheter in place so if that is one of the causes of the stones, they will still be there. Hopefully not clogging as often since the tube is larger. It sounds as though you do have 2 strikes- both the catheter and a family history. Also, once you have formed stones, the more likely you are to form them (that goes whether or not you have a sci).

Renacidin installations do help- you instill the fluid into your bladder and clamp it for a short time. I can't remember your level of injury- are you prone to ad? If so, you need to be careful when you do this.

I'm trying to think of anything else I can add but am blanking. Will let you know if anything comes to mind. Let us know how you are doing.

CKF