Thread: New Symptoms

New Symptoms

Hi have recurrent TM. It was dx in 2004 after a real bad exacerbation. Hoever i have had it since 1999 they say. After 04 I went on disability. I had a number of recurences then after being seen by Dr. Kerr of Johns Hopkins at the TM Center he had some tests ordered and he put me on Plaquenil. I haven't had a recurrance since. Last night I started haviut ng new symptomsin a normally unaffected area. My left arm-on the top forarm I felt tingling at first followed by patches of numbness on the forarm. As I touched those areas they were numb but cause elecrtric like surges down my my a burning that ran a specific path down my index finger and thumb.My arm got very fatigued and I couldn't straighten my fingers out all the way. I took a second dose of Plaquenil along with an extra nuerontin and baclofen- prayed, then went to sleep. There is still some numbness in the arm today and still when the area is touched it causes the shooting, burn down my hand. Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong?This goes to nurses and doctors right? Thank you for your time.-Sarah Marchuk of FLushing, MI. USA

Quote Originally Posted by smarchuk
    Hi have recurrent TM. It was dx in 2004 after a real bad exacerbation. Hoever i have had it since 1999 they say. After 04 I went on disability. I had a number of recurences then after being seen by Dr. Kerr of Johns Hopkins at the TM Center he had some tests ordered and he put me on Plaquenil. I haven't had a recurrance since. Last night I started haviut ng new symptomsin a normally unaffected area. My left arm-on the top forarm I felt tingling at first followed by patches of numbness on the forarm. As I touched those areas they were numb but cause elecrtric like surges down my my a burning that ran a specific path down my index finger and thumb.My arm got very fatigued and I couldn't straighten my fingers out all the way. I took a second dose of Plaquenil along with an extra nuerontin and baclofen- prayed, then went to sleep. There is still some numbness in the arm today and still when the area is touched it causes the shooting, burn down my hand. Can anyone tell me what might be going wrong?This goes to nurses and doctors right? Thank you for your time.-Sarah Marchuk of FLushing, MI. USA
    SMAR, this is Sue and I am not a RN nor a MD but I think they would say the samething..go to the ER. If your neurologist has someone on duty at a certain hospital go there otherwise head for the largest hospital or one affiliated with a University. When a reoccurance hits with TM steroids are often given again to stop further damage. I wouldn't wait.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Well I just got your reply and it has been a few days since it happened and everything is the same- not worse. My arm doesn't tire out but the wierd nerve pain is still there. I will contact my doctor. THanks

About double doses

Quote Originally Posted by smarchuk
    Last night I started haviut ng new symptomsin a normally unaffected area. My left arm-on the top forarm I felt tingling at first followed by patches of numbness on the forarm. As I touched those areas they were numb but cause elecrtric like surges down my my a burning that ran a specific path down my index finger and thumb.My arm got very fatigued and I couldn't straighten my fingers out all the way. I took a second dose of Plaquenil along with an extra nuerontin and baclofen- prayed, then went to sleep.
    Sarah, I just read up on the Plaquenil. I assume you were prescrribed it for SLE that is causing your TM. Have you spoken to a doctor or pharmacist about doubling up on doses? If you haven't I would talk to the prescibing doctor before doubling up again. Better safe than sorry, you know.

Hope all is back to your normal now.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.