Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone invest?

anyone invest?

I've been investing since I was about 14, first through my parents' broker and then on my own obviously, I was just curious how many other people are doing it? stocks, bonds, mf's or currency? anyone else making a living or better off of it?

I've been trading for about 3 yrs now. Portfolio of about 460k, all stocks. It's very rewarding but a lot of work staying current. Some added responsibilities mean I wont really be able to continue.
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

What did you start with AO? What kind of percentages have you been getting?

Investing

Warren Buffet (extremely wealthy investor) said six to seven percent return is good. I shoot for that target, and most times hit the bull's eye. Mostly I invest in equities, but own a few mutual funds. My wife and I started investing with $900 when we married and now worth nearly $2 million, including our home. We have been married 45 years. At this time in our lives, we go for blue chips that pay a reasonable dividend. We have yet to dip into our IRAs, however, soon the feds will make us do that.

Pete Moss

I've invested a good chunk of my money in stocks and bonds and hope that by investing young, it will pay off later in life. It's also a form of protecting my money from personal spending shopping sprees.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck
    Warren Buffet (extremely wealthy investor) said six to seven percent return is good. I shoot for that target, and most times hit the bull's eye. Mostly I invest in equities, but own a few mutual funds. My wife and I started investing with $900 when we married and now worth nearly $2 million, including our home. We have been married 45 years. At this time in our lives, we go for blue chips that pay a reasonable dividend. We have yet to dip into our IRAs, however, soon the feds will make us do that.

Pete Moss

Good job!
    I'm curious. I read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" which seemed to be on everyone's reading list and it sounded as though he recommended that the average joe stick to index funds. I tend to think you probably didn't do that.
    True?'

Quote Originally Posted by nate007
    What did you start with AO? What kind of percentages have you been getting?
    I'm not in the US, Nate so it's difficult to compare. You cant go too far wrong with bluechips though, no matter what country. Sure, you might lose out on some fantastic opportunities but you'll make up for it in the long run, imho.

In the last 10 months, my returns have been around 20% but our stockmarket has been doing exceptionally well. Before that I was on around 10% pa. I started with about 320k
    _____oOo_____
    Phil C6
    "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

I have started about a year ago. Started with mutual funds, but then got greedy. Once I learned how the market works, I started becoming much more active. Doing pretty good too, just like picking money off the money tree if you do your research right. Really doing well with options. Calls, Puts, you really cant beat the leverage of these on the right stocks to use them on (plus if you have some really juicy disasters you would love to short but your broker has no shares available to short, Puts get you in the game ).

Any interest in a Care Cure investing club? I think that would be pretty cool to discuss each other's ideas!

I've started investing about a year ago. I'm a finance major soon to graduate and pursue my MBA. My portfolio consists of conservative investments. Some are close to maturing and I'm getting confident enough in my knowledge of the market to take more risk. I would also be interested in discussing strategies with yall.
    Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Are you all investing personally, or have you hired a financial advisor who invests for you? I don't have enough knowledge to invest myself, but I chose someone who is relatively conservative, but has invested a small amount in medium-high risk options.