Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calf straps?

Calf straps?

This may be a silly question, but what are these calf straps for? My first chair, a Quickie 2, did not have one.

The calf strap keeps your legs from falling off the footrest backwards. Handy if you have no sensation or motor control. Calf straps come on rigids frame manuals, which I'm assuming you have now. Your Q2 didn't have one b/c it is a folder. I had a Q2 about 14 years ago. It had loops on the back of each footplate that essentially served the same purpose. Not sure if Q2's come with the foot loops now... things have changed since then.

I flip my calf strap around the front of the hanger of my ZRA, and use it to keep my legs and feet from spasming off the footrest-- if I use it at all.
    Last edited by NJenn; 03-02-2006 at 01:03 AM.

I would think all rigid chairs come with calf straps? My Quickie Argon did.
    If I didn't have it, my legs would be flopping behind the footplate, and I would have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    I would think all rigid chairs come with calf straps? My Quickie Argon did.
    You'd think so wouldn't you? However with most chairs calf straps are just another one of those things that should be standard but are on the options list. Just another way of keeping the headline cost down and then increasing the cost during the ordering process. I'm betting the person that spec'd your chair just ticked the calf strap option box.
    Russ - T2 complete

Quote Originally Posted by russ1
    You'd think so wouldn't you? However with most chairs calf straps are just another one of those things that should be standard but are on the options list. Just another way of keeping the headline cost down and then increasing the cost during the ordering process. I'm betting the person that spec'd your chair just ticked the calf strap option box.
    No, I saw the order form - and a calf strap wasn't mentioned.(And I worked put what everything cost, and it all added up correctly)
    However, I think my supplier must have just thrown it in at no extra cost (as he did with the handrim covers I needed).

Can't believe calf straps are not standard.

I need calf straps on my 4 wheeler, I guess. I was riding around the track with my son one day when several people were waving at me. I thought they were being friendly. One guy ran to the track and stopped me. My foot had come off the peg and was dragging in the dirt. Fortunately, my leg wasn't long enough for my foot to get caught under the wheel. I pay more attention to my feet now.

A lot of fold up chairs , the individual foot plates have heal straps.
    The calf strap, to me, is much better. They typically velcro together, so you can swap it from chair to chair.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

A nice way to make your own is just go buy a cheap piece of velcro strapping then go buy a padded seat belt cover from Wal-Mart...all different colors and designs.Ya can make your own cool lookin strap for under 20 bucks.

Shaun
    You have all the answers

HI to another Tennessean. I have calf straps on my chair. Wondering how you find accessibility in Memphis? I grew up close to there and went to school when it was memphis state. Anyway going to visit next week and haven't been since I had my accident. Actually haven't traveled at all. I'm a little nervous. Take care!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.