Thread: I have a kidney stone. What next?

I have a kidney stone. What next?

Just found out I have a kidney stone. What can I expect as to treatment/recovery.

Thank You

Good question, I found out I have a bladder stone, my doctor wants me to get an IVP too. I had one done a year and half ago, is this something I have to have done yearly?

Most stones are easily detected by ultrasound, which is a very safe and easy to do test. This should be done for the entire urinary tract annually.

An IVP is needed only if the ultrasounds shows something abnormal. We do not advise annual IVPs as doing them repeatedly can increase your risk for becoming allergic to the contract dye that is injected. Then when you really need an IVP it is very risky or may not be able to be done at all.

The size and location of the stone will determine the treatment. If it is small, they may place a nephrostomy tube into your side (into the kidney) under an Xray guided procedure, then try to either grab it through the tube and crush it, or dissolve it by continuous irrigation with a solution of Renecidin.

If it is too large, or lodged in certain spots, either an open surgical procedure (cutting into the kidney from the side) may be needed, or you may be a candidate for ESWL (extracorporal shock wave lithotripsy, pronounced "eswal") where they put you in a big bathtub of water and break up the stone with sound waves.

ESWL can release a megadose of bacteria into your blood stream, so IV antibiotics and at least an overnight stay in the hospital is recommended for people with SCI who have ESWL.

(KLD)

Ok, KLD, thanks for the info, but now you got me wondering if my rehab hospital knows what they're doing. They said they found the stone when they did a Cystogram a few weeks ago, I've never even had an ultrasound done, is this possible?

A cystogram only shows your bladder...not the kidney. If you actually had a full IVP (intravenous pyelogram) it shows your kidneys, ureters and bladder, so can show a stone in any of these places (as can an ultrasound).

I would ask to have an ultrasound of the rest of your urinary tract to rule out anything abnormal first, and only if something abnormal is seen in your upper tracts would an IVP generally be justified.

A bladder stone can nearly always be removed either by crushing and washing it out or by laser during a cystoscopy, which is a much less invasive surgery. It can often be done as an outpatient.

(KLD)