Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: luggage carriers

luggage carriers

Looking for experiences with those luggage carrier thingies that clip onto the front of the chair. Ti makes some that fold up, and there are also some that don't fold. So, how well do they work? I'd love to hear your experiences with them before I buy some and potentially make an ass out of myself.

Sorry NJenn, no experience with the luggage carriers you describe. However, my wife calls me the "living dolly" when it comes time to move things. Typically box's get stacked on my lap, or even large furniture.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Sportaid has them for 1/3 the price as Tilite but I am not sure if they fold.

http://secure.srginc.biz/search_list...nd=sa&strID=53

I have seen someone using them to hold a briefcase, and it worked well, but too much weight on the front of your chair could cause handling difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B
    but too much weight on the front of your chair could cause handling difficulties.
    That's exactly what I'm worried about. When in doubt, grab a skycap.

nope sorry - but not convinced about those clip-ons esp with the extra weight on front end. most of the time i just stick a rucksak/backpack on the back of my chair.
    this is a real pain though - it tends to swing around and get bashed up (which isnt a huge problem with university work, but not sure what going to do if if and when i need a briefcase - may have to settle for these clip on things).

A lot of suitcases now have wheels, so you would think that rather than place the case on supports on the chair itself, someone would come up with some attachment that would connect the chair frame to the case so that its wheels would be used in tandem with the chair's. Do you see what I mean? So that as you push your chair, the case automatically gets pushed (or pulled) too. (Of course it would have to be a flat surface, any step would be hard to negotiate).

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    A lot of suitcases now have wheels, so you would think that rather than place the case on supports on the chair itself, someone would come up with some attachment that would connect the chair frame to the case so that its wheels would be used in tandem with the chair's. Do you see what I mean? So that as you push your chair, the case automatically gets pushed (or pulled) too. (Of course it would have to be a flat surface, any step would be hard to negotiate).
    I've already been thinking about this b/c I"m flying solo on Tues....It can easily be accomplished with velcro wire-straps found in the electronics department or even some suitcase sets come with link straps to connect them together. You can use these to attach them to the bar across the back of your chair and wheel along....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Dang!! Sis, time is creaping up on me--I must get busy cleaning!

I was thinking the added weight of a suitcase on the front wheels would make it hard to steer. Attaching the suitcase to the towel bar on the back and pulling it may be easier to navigate. If It's a small bag, such as a briefcase/laptop bag...u should be ok. Anything bigger/heavier is going to be hard to push around, me thinks.

I just delt with this. I opted not to buy the luggage carrriers, mostly because I didnt want to spend the $50 so I am no help there, but I use athletic duffel bags and throw them around my torso. They are able to hang down by my legs and out of the way. My other option is some rolling luggage pieces can fit on my footrest if I slide my feet back and just bungee the bag for security. Or, I just found out that it works, to simply extent the handle and push it. Steer with the bag out in front and one hand the chair...much like you would do while pushing a spare chair or sports chair.