Thread: Codey revives effort for stem cell research facility

Codey revives effort for stem cell research facility

Looks like it's all Rutgers now and no longer UMDNJ

Codey revives effort for stem cell research facility

By JEFFREY GOLD
    The Associated Press

TRENTON, N.J. - Just weeks after watching his effort to create a stem cell research facility expire amid inaction by the state Assembly, state Senate President Richard J. Codey on Monday introduced a new bill for the project that appears to have support from the new Assembly speaker, as well as the new governor.
    The new bill would again create a facility in New Brunswick, at a cost of $150 million, and, in a new twist, would fund a $50 million research center in Camden.
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-619157.html
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob
    Looks like it's all Rutgers now and no longer UMDNJ

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-619157.html
    BigBob, thanks for posting the story. Where did you get the information that it is "all Rutgers now and no longer UMDNJ"? The article mentions Rutgers only in relationship to the proposed Camden facility and says:
    The New Brunswick-based Stem Cell Institute of New Jersey would be affiliated with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Codey spokeswoman Jennifer Sciortino said.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    BigBob, thanks for posting the story. Where did you get the information that it is "all Rutgers now and no longer UMDNJ"? The article mentions Rutgers only in relationship to the proposed Camden facility and says:
    WOW, I thought UMDNJ was in Newark My mistake!
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

WOW, I thought UMDNJ was in Newark My mistake!
    BigBob, actually both Rutgers and UMDNJ are in all three locations. It is a wierd situation and very confusing. Wise.

Now, I am really confused. Originally, I thought Ira Black was going to run the UMDNJ stem cell unit and I believe you were going to run the Rutgers one. I even remember you talking about security for the building. But, it seemed that because Ira had unfortuantely left us, I thought they might have moved his operation to Camden and you would still be heading the one in New Brunswick. This is news to me that you won't be involved in the stem cell project. Why? Would it limit funding for non-controversial research if you were involved in the NJ stem cell research project?

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

Now, I am really confused. Originally, I thought Ira Black was going to run the UMDNJ stem cell unit and I believe you were going to run the Rutgers one. I even remember you talking about security for the building. But, it seemed that because Ira had unfortuantely left us, I thought they might have moved his operation to Camden and you would still be heading the one in New Brunswick. This is news to me that you won't be involved in the stem cell project. Why? Would it limit funding for non-controversial research if you were involved in the NJ stem cell research project?
    BigBob,

You are confusing me.

Unfortunately, Ira Black died several weeks ago. His group is still working on stem cell research.

I continue to be involved and fight for the stem cell institute. Yes, I was part of the group that advised the architects concerning the building. I head the search committee that is looking for the new director of the Stem Cell Institute.

There is one Stem Cell Institute of New Jersey and it is in New Brunswick. The building in Camden is not another stem cell institute.

I don't understand your question about non-controversial stem cell research.

Wise.