Thread: In-Home Care Programs

In-Home Care Programs

I'm a C3 Quad, spinal cord injury, who is planning to move to a warmer and sunnier climate. I'm wanting to talk to anyone living in: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas or Nevada. My main concern is finding out what the ”in-home care programs”are like. I have good state/federal funding for my in-home care where I live now and just want to talk to people with similar high-level paralysis in those states with a warmer climate to see if they are happy with their services or not. Any help in finding out the ACTUAL “in-home care” funding limitations and services available would be deeply appreciated!
    Thank you,
    Hummer

I would question moving to California. The costs of living are very high here, and section 8 housing is pretty much not available....in my area they stopped even taking names for the waiting list, and the wait is over 4 years. I assume you have a lot income if you are getting state-funded in-home care services.

Check out these two websites for some valuable information about CA:

http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org/index.htm

http://www.kff.org/medicaid/benefits/index.jsp

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/cdssweb/In-HomeSup_173.htm

In CA, IHSS (In Home Supportive Services) is administered by the county, so each county is a little different. In some counties, the workers are unionized, which results in better pay and some benefits. This can make recruitment a little easier. In my county, this is not the case. The waiting list for evaluation for IHSS (a social worker coming to your home to evaluate you) is 6-8 weeks. You must wait 30 days after moving here to qualify for Medi-Cal (our Medicaid program) and only then can you apply for IHSS. It is VERY unusual for someone who is not ventilator dependent to qualify for more than 8 hours daily care through this program. The up side is that you can pretty much hire anyone you want, including a family member, but family who lives with you is expected to provide at least 8 hours of care daily as well. Hiring "off the street" is the norm. Local ILCs may have a list of attendants looking for work, but finding people who are available and willing to accept the $8.25/hour they pay here is difficult. You can provide board and room and other perks, but not extra money.

In addition, the Govinator is doing all he can to try to reduce services under IHSS, so far unsuccessfully, but if he runs for govenor again and wins I fear for this program.

Where ever you are considering moving, I would encourage you to call and have a LONG conversation with the benefits counselor from the local ILC. You may be in for a rude surprise otherwise.

(KLD)

Blog Entries

What's with the focus on ILC?

I've been referenced on more than once occaision to my local ILC.
    Meanwhile, at least here in NY, the ILC is primarily for developmental disability in-home living arrangements. No where are accomodations for the physically disabled, unless we create it for ourselves.
    A number of months ago when I mentioned this on this forum, it was fairly well received by a number of CC members. The sole exception being the SCI nurse who was quick to caution me about all of the state regulations which make it very onerous to operate a group home. However, I never intended to duplicate an ILC. I was merely facilitating a roof under which maybe 4-5 quads lived under a lease, or cooperative, along with their caregivers, or caregivers to be shared. No "house" services, other than plumbing, electric, and home maintenance.
    The net result was a form of purgatory between not-enough $ for easy life, and too much $ for medicaid.
    Does this still stir interest?

Tim, I don't know what you think most ILCs do, but in my area, they are the the major advocacy agency for people with disabilities (all disabilities), as well as the clearing house and experts on all benefits and programs for people with disabilities. The county even has them set up as the agency who maintains the Section 8 waiting list. They have services for all types of disabilities, and in our area their minority population is those with developmental disabilities. That population gets many services through ARC and the local Regional Center, which provides no services for those who do not have a developmental disability.

The ILC (Independent Living Center) is not a place to live, nor does it provide attendant services. It is a non-profit organization that is partially publically funded, but also funded by donations and memberships. Our ILCs provide attendant training (limited) as well as referral services. They provide classes on independent living skills. They help people apply for PASSs. They advocate for ADA compliance. They run peer support and counseling services.

I am sorry your ILC is so limited, but my experience with them in CA is that they are invaluable in helping people with physical disabilities live in the community and stay out of nursing homes (and in many cases, get out of nursing homes).

KLD

hey Hummer,

I am also a C3 quad, and I don't get any sort of help at all I was just curious where you live that you are getting such good help. And who I could call to maybe get some help. I also was wanting to move to a warmer sunnier climate. Good luck.

Bill Strauss

Just thought I would say if it's just medicaid you have services through with in-home care~ in texas, it's not going to be an easy route to even find/figure out where there's even a physician taking new patients let alone having just medicaid. There's been other things I've spent many hours trying to figure out the differences of state to state, I have given up for now.
    We love the weather though!
    Perhaps one should research in depth through their current physicians/existing programs to help with this, sort of paving the way for your needs/wants if you choose to move? My life and circumstances didn't allow me to do much of that and I trusted where I shouldn't have...it hasn't been easy whatsoever but heeeyyyyy, the kid is finally enrolled in college!!! And so far, V/R has been cool and positive.
    Did I say I love the weather though~ heh.
    Last edited by teesieme; 03-15-2006 at 12:48 PM.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Quote Originally Posted by Hummer
    . I'm wanting to talk to anyone living in: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas or Nevada. Hummer

Have you considered FLORIDA??? BradD is a high level in FL... I can hook you up with him, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to share his experiences.

email me at nryan319@tampabay.rr.com

I often wondered about this stuff, I have lived in Massachusetts my whole life, previous to accident as well. But have often thought of moving (for at least part of the year, Winter is terrible here) but didn't know what services could compete with Massachusetts. I am a c4, I have a section 8 and live in a pretty adequate nice 2 bedroom 2 bath condo, started renting when new. Also get about 12 hours PCA A DAY at about $11/hour.
    I have heard almost no states compare with Massachusetts, and believe me I'm grateful, sometimes just wish could be a little warmer, sometimes you can go 3-6 months without getting out much. Anybody know what other states have PCA programs available?