Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown University Student looking for an Interview from a SCI patient

Brown University Student looking for an Interview from a SCI patient

Hi,
    I am a senior at Brown University taking a class called Organ Replacement. As a requirement for this class, we have to create a web site. My group's website is on Future Treatments of Spinal Cord Injury. To enhance the web site, we would like to include an interview of an SCI patient. In particular, we are looking to interview a paraplegic. If you would be interested in participating in a 20 minute phone interview (or a face-to-face interview if you live in the Providence, RI area), please email Kim at kimberlyj510@yahoo.com. If you would like to check out previous website projects from this class, check out: http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/BI108.html

Please reply by April 17th, 2003! Thanks!

Hi Kim,
    Good luck in getting your interview. If the Brown Admissions Building was even partly handicap accessible, let alone a campus without many wheelcuts, then Brown might even have it's own paraplegic student today. In 2000 a prospective student could only get in the rear entrance of the admissions building (where the "accessible" sign pointed) and see the postage meter the back stairs and nothing else. I understand that this is not your fault, but if the campus is currently in the same condition I would forget the website and demonstrate for campus accessibility. Why not interview the Spinewire crew. Why didn't you use your brown.edu email address?

Carl

You might also find some more willing volunteers if you used more appropriate "PC" language. Most people prefer "a person with paraplegia" rather than "paraplegic" as they are a person first, and are not defined by their paraplegia. In addition, unless you are talking to people in the hospital, most would prefer not to be called patients. Person with a spinal cord injury or person with paraplegia covers this, although some do use the term spinal cord injury survivor.

Just wondering why you don't want to include people with tetraplegia in your survey?? What will be on your website that people could not also find on this site, with the addition of a credible and respected researcher such as Dr. Young? Who will moderate your site?
    (KLD)

[This message was edited by SCI-Nurse on 04-14-03 at 06:17 PM.]

Please feel free to contact me. Julie Z juliez@cfl.rr.com

Agree with KLD regarding the word "patient" in your post. Not appropriate.

kim,
    what other crip sites have you buzzed skimming for sci "patients"?

and another thing....as a "patient" with tetraplegia i take particular offense to your exclusion of people such as myself. something wrong with our kind? and just because you're here asking for volunteer "patients" you think we might be interested in your other lame website projects??? here's an idea for your organ replacement class -- a brain transplant for yourself.

It looks like this has been done already - but please don't think that all people that are paralyzed are this sensitive. I have no problem being called a patient, quadriplegic, tetraplegic, handicapped, disabled, crippled, etc. I'm simply not bothered by this.

Feel free to e-mail me as well:

Lshall82978@yahoo.com

As previously mentioned, don't get the wrong idea that all SCI's are huffy and sensitive. The only thing I am not is a patient, I am not in any hospital of any kind nor am I under he constant care of a doctor. But I didn't take offense to it. All SCI's aren't snippy

Dear Brown Student...

If you would like to interview a patient/client, perhaps you should seek out your resource at the local hospitals there? I know that there is some sort of rehab unit in Providence or Boston. I am positive that you will find a different experience in the acute phase than in the chronic. Plenty of people are willing to communicate and help students out on this website...I do not think I could have succeeded in the last year without them. There is a VA hospital near you where you may have good luck finding helpful people. When I was in school, I asked some questions here and was referred to volumes of reading and when I reported what I read, the members here told me..."good now forget it because nothing is as it is written". Good Luck with your assignment, it is a huge learning curve in the world of spinal cord injury...

Mary, R.N.

...and she lived happily ever after...