Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sediment, How can I reduce it?

Sediment, How can I reduce it?

I have a SP catheter so sediment is always coming out of my tube and into my bag. Is there anything I can take or anything I can do to try and get rid of it. I know it sounds funny? What about drinking a lot of water (which I do anyway) and rolling side to side in bed to move the sediment around? I know it is just sitting there. I need to find a way to reduce it. Any suggestions? Thank you

Hi,

I have a SP catheter, and I just drink plenty of fluids to keep it flushed out.

One thing I did find causes debris, and that is dairy products such as cheese and milk, maybe it's just me, but it's worth noting just in case.

You could have bladder washouts if it gets too bad, but I prefer drinking!

Regards

Simon.

i have a sp cath also and lots of cranberry juice clears my urine maybe it will help u...

Surely if the sediment is coming out and your cath isn't blocking it's a good sign? As long as the sediment is being flushed out - which it sounds like it is - then it's not collecting in your bladder and causing problems. I know I get a lot of sediment just like you from time to time. Never really worried about it. The more you drink the more dilute it'll be but as long as it's coming out and not causing problems I'd be happy and not worry about it.
    Russ - T2 complete

Sediment in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. The bladder wall is always ridding itself of sediment so as long as the catheter is flowing it is not an issue. But, if you want to decrease it, drinking lots of water may help dilute the urine, not necessarily get rid of the sediment. You may try a bladder washout as suggested above to really rinse the bladder wall. This can be done daily, irrigate several times with 60 cc of saline, to rinse the bladder walls. That may decrease the sediment.

JM

I can't drain naturally at all so don't use an external catheter. Only intermittent catheterization. My urine is clear with no sediment. Once in awhile maybe a 1/4 inch worth of something whitish in the bottom of my catheter.

Why do some people get sediment and others not? And why do some get such large amounts of it?

Is it diet or bacteria or what?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I have a urethral foley and get tons of sediment too. I found that drinking lots and lots of water, and eating foods that produce alot of urine, like soups, stews, puddings, jello, etc. Just add them to your diet.
    That has made a difference for me. So its drink fluids till your eyeballs float. That keeps the sediment and urine flowing.

I don't feel so bad. Sounds like it is natural. I will continue to drink a lot of water to keep Flushing. Thank you for all your comments.

Adding some information to my above post, I hardly ever drink water. Mostly coffee (5-6 cups per day) with Coffee-Mate and sugar. And a glass or two of iced tea with sugar and lemon and maybe a glass of grape or orange juice. And I eat fruit everyday.

Once or twice a month I'll get drunk, maybe 10 beers and a few shots of Canadian Mist.

Since I didn't get a reply the first time allow me to ask again. Oh, I cath about 4 times a day usually between 800-1000ccs.

"I can't drain naturally at all so don't use an external catheter. Only intermittent catheterization. My urine is clear with no sediment. Once in awhile maybe a 1/4 inch worth of something whitish in the bottom of my catheter.

Why do some people get sediment and others not? And why do some get such large amounts of it?

Is it diet or bacteria or what?"
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

AIUI a lot of the sediment is calcium being washed out which is why apparelyzed has noted increased sediment with dairy products. As paras and quads we do not need as much calcium as our bones are not as dense as AB's. Also newer injuries bodies will be losing more calcium as their bone density decreases so newer injuries will have more sediment than older injuries. At least that was what was explained to me in my spinal unit. It is important that if taking multi vitamins that they don't include calcium as that can lead to increased sediment and blockages.
    Russ - T2 complete