Thread: Jadis ROCKS (m)

Jadis ROCKS (m)

jadis, when I posted about being totally burnt out and overwhelmed with my life, you gave me what has turned out to be INCREDIBLY good advice. You told me to create little bags of food/drink etc and keep a place in the fridge stocked with such item so that my 5 year old could help himself anytime (as one of my biggest sources of frustration was hopping up and down to feed that kid 24/7 it seemed! )

So, I did it!

I cleared out the 2 bottom drawers in my fridge and the bottom drawer is stuff full of individual servingsw in sandwich ziplock bags such as: a hot dog, a string cheese stick, cheese cubes, baby carrots, broccoli florets, yogurt, sliced apples, mandarin oranges, jello cups, etc, etc. I put plastic silverware in there too in case he needs it.

The 2nd drawer in the fridge is FULL of "sippy" cups that have milk or water in them (you can see through them to see what it is) so he can have anything to drink anytime (I don't allow juice generally). There is also drinking yogurt in the drink drawer.

Then I cleared out a regular drawer (cabinet, not fridge) and put in quartered peanut butter sandwiches, goldfish, crackers, raisins, nilla wafers, etc. We call it the "boy drawers". He knows he can have anything in them anytime without having to ask.

I refill the drawers regularly (every 4-5 days except drinks which are more frequent) and take out the old stuff, and add new stuff. So it always holds his attention as there is something new to eat/see every few days. And I change things around alot using lots of grocery store creativity in stocking the drawers.

This has (and I'm not exaggerating) TRANSFORMED MY LIFE. Ohmygod, it has made a HUGE difference. He feeds himself, he nearly never asks me for anything and he eats very healthy foods. It has taken such a big burden off of me. I just wanted to thank you publicly for such an awesome suggestion. I owe you for a large portion of my improved quality of life!!

THANK YOU JADIS!!

Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

This is awesome!

awwww!! Glad to hear it worked out so well !

you think he eats a lot now, wait till he's a teenager!

Mine (14 in April) eats breakfast @ home, again at school, a snack at morning recess, lunch (then finishes his friend's lunches), a snack at afternoon recess, then when he comes home he's starving. As soon as he steps off the bus he heads for the kitchen for a sandwich or two. Dinner is 2-3 helpings, then a snack before bedtime.

He eats more than my husband @ one meal. It's insane. He's skinny as a rail--so much so that you can see his ribs. I've taken him to the doctor to see if he's feeding worms or something and they say he's fine. Just a healthy appetite. I reckon. I talked to my dad about it and he said I was the same way. We would go out to eat, I would get two meals and finish them off then be hungry again by the time we got home. He said he thought my leg was empty and that's where I packed food. LOL

I'm glad I could help!!

Oh one more thing

Jadis, I ALSO have enlisted my son to help clean up. We make an effort to put the toys away right after he plays with them and HE has to do it, NOT me as I did not play with them. But if I do help put away toys, he has to help me by carrying out the trash, delivering toilet paper up and down the 2 sets of stairs here and 5 bathrooms! Then every 2nd or 3rd day, we have a major clean up where we pick up all the stray socks, sort the laundry, sweep the floor, mop it (he loves to do this part), and dust. Sometimes we'll go 4-5 days between the "big" cleans but now when we do, I call my mom to help as she lives 1 block away (literally). So I'm learning to delegate and to ask for help and to enlist family support when they are very eager to give up. yay for me! And yay to you and all the others suggested such great things.

Ami (with wine beside me ... but I have to work after I finish fooling around, lol! I work from home though, so late nights just mean sleeping in late)
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Ami glad to hear that your certainly feeling less stressed and more chipper. Yay!
    Daniel

Jadis, you are great. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    jadis, when I posted about being totally burnt out and overwhelmed with my life, you gave me what has turned out to be INCREDIBLY good advice. You told me to create little bags of food/drink etc and keep a place in the fridge stocked with such item so that my 5 year old could help himself anytime (as one of my biggest sources of frustration was hopping up and down to feed that kid 24/7 it seemed! )

So, I did it!

I cleared out the 2 bottom drawers in my fridge and the bottom drawer is stuff full of individual servingsw in sandwich ziplock bags such as: a hot dog, a string cheese stick, cheese cubes, baby carrots, broccoli florets, yogurt, sliced apples, mandarin oranges, jello cups, etc, etc. I put plastic silverware in there too in case he needs it.

The 2nd drawer in the fridge is FULL of "sippy" cups that have milk or water in them (you can see through them to see what it is) so he can have anything to drink anytime (I don't allow juice generally). There is also drinking yogurt in the drink drawer.

Then I cleared out a regular drawer (cabinet, not fridge) and put in quartered peanut butter sandwiches, goldfish, crackers, raisins, nilla wafers, etc. We call it the "boy drawers". He knows he can have anything in them anytime without having to ask.

I refill the drawers regularly (every 4-5 days except drinks which are more frequent) and take out the old stuff, and add new stuff. So it always holds his attention as there is something new to eat/see every few days. And I change things around alot using lots of grocery store creativity in stocking the drawers.

This has (and I'm not exaggerating) TRANSFORMED MY LIFE. Ohmygod, it has made a HUGE difference. He feeds himself, he nearly never asks me for anything and he eats very healthy foods. It has taken such a big burden off of me. I just wanted to thank you publicly for such an awesome suggestion. I owe you for a large portion of my improved quality of life!!

THANK YOU JADIS!!

Ami

Jadis' advice was just awesome. As awesome as Ami's execution! Well done girls.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber