Thread: Calling local on the computer for free?

Calling local on the computer for free?

I want to call local business for free without picking up the phone. I would like to know how and if so do a test. I sell and want to use web cam etc. but I do not know how - Can I call someome over the computer and hit a land line?

What you are wanting is something like Vonage. The only problem is there are no free Vonage type VOIP clients out there that I have found. You can have voice and video confrencing using programs like Skype, netmeeting, and google talk. They all work great but require the person you are calling to use the same program. Unless you purchase something like Vonage you will just have to settle for using the regular phone.
    Teyrn

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    What you are wanting is something like Vonage. The only problem is there are no free Vonage type VOIP clients out there that I have found. You can have voice and video confrencing using programs like Skype, netmeeting, and google talk. They all work great but require the person you are calling to use the same program. Unless you purchase something like Vonage you will just have to settle for using the regular phone.
    Thanx Tey,
    I have tried both Google did not load correctly (my fault for sure) Skype
    I did not attempt because it would not hit anyone. I sell light bulbs for handicap thru telemarketing but if I could find a way to market thru the computer I could "hit" residential. I am doing good with calling business yet I am missing a big market by not calling residential. You know if I do not open my mouth it will not get fed. I like to sell because I have a big run my mouth
    Thanx,
    Matt
    ps what is VOIP? I have a real good friend that works in a"call center" is that what you mean? I want to "solicit" freely on the ccomputer by web cam and phone to sell.

VOIP = Voice over IP It is what Vonage and others use to bind your telephone number to your IP address so you can make phone calls via your broadband connection. VOIP is bandwidth intensive and one must have broadband for it to work as it is supposed too. Add video to it and bandwidth usage more then doubles in some cases.
    There is another way to use the PC to call people. There are phone programs that use your dialup modem to make calls. Your modem needs to be voice compatible and if you need to purchase a voice/data modem they are really cheap online or at places like CompUSA. The modem instead of dialing into an ISP just dials up someones phone number. Basicaly it turns your computer into a big telephone. Using your modem to make calls won't interfear with your internet connection if you use DSL or cable for internet access. I can't think of any clients off the top of my head but I'm sure you can google something. I'm sure there are free programs out there too for this.
    Teyrn

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    VOIP = Voice over IP It is what Vonage and others use to bind your telephone number to your IP address so you can make phone calls via your broadband connection. VOIP is bandwidth intensive and one must have broadband for it to work as it is supposed too. Add video to it and bandwidth usage more then doubles in some cases.
    There is another way to use the PC to call people. There are phone programs that use your dialup modem to make calls. Your modem needs to be voice compatible and if you need to purchase a voice/data modem they are really cheap online or at places like CompUSA. The modem instead of dialing into an ISP just dials up someones phone number. Basicaly it turns your computer into a big telephone. Using your modem to make calls won't interfear with your internet connection if you use DSL or cable for internet access. I can't think of any clients off the top of my head but I'm sure you can google something. I'm sure there are free programs out there too for this.
    Thanx Tey,
    I have DSL but I did not know my modem could be used at the same time. So I get a voice/data modem call the customer, throw my sales pitch and look at (example) customer history all on one computer? I use a UNIX system now and just a land line for calling. I like CompUSA too and I will google around for that modem. I have more to ask about a call accounting program that I am setting up this week too. I have hyper terminal collecting the raw data on com 1 but the program will not? I have been waiting three days on this guy in tech support. It is cool setting up this stuff I am just impatient.
    Matt

I had to work on this call accounting stuff today. I wonder if it works? I also am going to see if I have a voice modem in my computer at home. It being an XP I wonderI am using a Smart Link 56 K now but I should get this http://www.provantage.com/zoom-2985-00-00c~7ZOOE00V.htm I looked around and the software does not look to be free? I would still have to pay a few cents per minute,I think. I found this too http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...916&pfp=BROWSE
    Last edited by Hunker; 02-22-2006 at 07:46 AM.