Thread: "V" vs "L" Frame?

"V" vs "L" Frame?

whats the difference and benefits from having one or the other?
    Blah

Aesthetics.
    Slight benefit of turning radius.
    Can position closer to things, like bed, car, etc, for transferring.
    Legs positioned tighter/closer together - smaller/narrower foot rest width.
    * Be wary of pressure points: if kneees tend to splay, calves/sides of knees can touch/press against frame.
    * narrow footrest can fix your feet into position more than if you had wider footrest. If you transfer and have diminished strength, balance, spasms, etc, this can make transfering more difficult if your feet are "stuck"/lodged on footrest. This is esp. case if wearing big sneakers or boots.

Are you asking only about shape of front frame, or also about seat frame - "V" seat frame, will make your seat/legs even tighter. I'm personally looking into this though, since some frame claims of "v" aren't very narrow.

whats the gt?
    Blah

picture
    Blah

brooks, im not sure what your asking here. can u clarify
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Brooks-

I think you are asking about 2 different things. The V is the part of the frame that goes from the seat down to the foot rest. That can be angled in (simulating a V) so that it is narrower on the bottom near the footplate than it is on the top. I have this because it helps keep my center of balance better.

The L part of the frame (at least in the GT) is the part between the caster wheels and the back of the chair. Usually there is a bar that connects the back part of the frame to the caster. The GT does not have this part. If you would turn the chair over on its side, it would resemble an L...hence the L frame designation.

According to the Quickie website...this is their definition:

Open-Frame Design
    The Quickie GT's "L" shaped mono-frame design is perfect for transporting in and out of vehicles. The optional folding push-handles and the standard folding backrest combined with the "L" frame-shape makes the Quickie GT frame easier to move across the driver's seat than most non-folding and folding aluminum-frame chairs.

I don't think it is an issue in your case, Brooks, but when considering the V on your wheelchair, make sure to be measured while wearing AFOs.

There is way to much space for my legs (especially as muscles continue to atrophy) on my WC, but with AFOs my legs are wedged in.

Another PITA - my loaner chair is actually 1/2 inch smaller than "my" chair is supposed to be.... the top of my AFOs get wedged under the seat, and sometimes it takes manual interventention to get them out

-- JB

thx everybody 4 clearing that up
    sometimes i get alittle confused
    Blah

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB
    I don't think it is an issue in your case, Brooks, but when considering the V on your wheelchair, make sure to be measured while wearing AFOs.
    JustinB-- Such a good point, and often overlooked. My ZRA has a 4 inch tapered V frame. Footplate width is allegedly 10 inches, but I think it's less. My feet feel croweded without AFOs. I'm almost positive my AFOs won't fit on this footplate. I haven't tried yet because I hardly wear them. If I could go back and do it again, I would not have gotten such a dramatic taper. It fits me like a glove, but I wish I had more foot room.