Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: intermittent catheters

intermittent catheters

Is there a male catheter that is long enough to use without having to use a urinal? It seems like the catheter should be long enough for a male in a wheelchair to reach the toilet. My husband is a quad and it takes him so much longer to set up a urinal and get all ready than it would if he could just cath and have it drain directly to the toilet. Anyone know of anything? Thanks

You can buy an extension tube that connects directly to the catheter and drains right into the toilet. This is what my husband does, no urinal needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie
    You can buy an extension tube that connects directly to the catheter and drains right into the toilet. This is what my husband does, no urinal needed.
    same here.

An extension tube works great for going directly to the toilet or you may want to use a leg bag attached to the catheter.

JM

When I am out and about, I use these:

http://www.mentorcorp.com/bladder-co...h-hydrogel.htm

The covering sleeve becomes an extension tube and allows you to pee into toilet.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thank you all so much. I don't know why I didn't think of an extension tube. Such a simple solution. I'll tell him to try that. It will make life so much easier, not to mention will get him more sleep since he caths at night and it usually takes so long.

Thanks for the link McDuff. How much are those caths with the sleeve compared to just a regular cath, no sleeve? I use just a regular catheter, 14fr, 16 inch, no sleeve or anything. The sleeve would alleviate the worry about clean hands, etc.

Is there a big price difference?
    Thanks friend
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Rdf, no they are more expensive. More along the lines of the other "travel cath", self-lubed solutions. Hopefully they will come down some,as they are still pretty new to market. They should, lots less plastic involved w/ no bag to them. But I think the "hydrogel" is the new technology involved and may delay the price fall.

I use a reg, 14fr 16in cath at home too.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thanks McDuff. Let's hope the price comes down. They'd be great for traveling, which I plan on doin much of in the future.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

where do you guys buy connectors for extension tubing? I've been cannibalizing leg bags for them.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
    Winston Churchill