Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you pick up freaky friends post-sci?

Do you pick up freaky friends post-sci?

Before sci--I had 'normal' friends. I was 19 at the time so we were all in college, partying,looking for guys, etc. Now I seem to pick up friends that are weird. I cannot really explain...they just don't have the same interests as me but they are not intimidated by my chair. Do you have the same experience?
    I don't know if I make these weird people feel better about themselves or what...I just think that I'd have different friends if not for the wheelchair.
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

I'm curious about the friends you are making post-SCI. How are your new friends weird? How do they compare to your friends pre-SCI? Are you satisfied with the friendships you've made post-SCI?

Good question.....they seem to be more needy. Like, they talk only about all the problems they have. After a while I can't take anymore!!
    It has been 16yrs for me...I'll make a new friend only to have a 'one-sided relationhip' where all they talk about is the problems in their life which I cannot help but compare to mine and I want to tell them that they don't know what real problems are.......I just get frustrated. I try to stay positive. I don't go into the hell that daily sci brings. Then I seem to pick up friends who complain about stupid things. Like how their electic bill was a little too high or how they had a headache........agh...I just want to unleash but hold back. Just wanted to know if you all experience the same.
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

shannon where do you meet these people?
    Daniel

Dan,
    I pick up these friends everywhere! my church: My deacon told me that 'my friend' was already in the congregation. She is 80+ yrs old and in a wheelchair. I didn't know her...I wanted to scream "i'm 35yrs old with 2 kids"!!!! I'm not old!!!!

People that are not intimidated by my wheelchair seem to be obsessed with themelves. Do you all experience the same?
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

- Burt Bacharach

I usually AM the wierd friend LOL
    Death and taxes

Quote Originally Posted by 30something
    Good question.....they seem to be more needy. Like, they talk only about all the problems they have. After a while I can't take anymore!!
    It has been 16yrs for me...I'll make a new friend only to have a 'one-sided relationhip' where all they talk about is the problems in their life which I cannot help but compare to mine and I want to tell them that they don't know what real problems are.......I just get frustrated. I try to stay positive. I don't go into the hell that daily sci brings. Then I seem to pick up friends who complain about stupid things. Like how their electic bill was a little too high or how they had a headache........agh...I just want to unleash but hold back. Just wanted to know if you all experience the same.
    I hardly ever talk about my problems or aches and pains to my friends or family unless it comes up in a conversation initiated by them... Well, I'll write about some of them here at the CC forums! But I've had some able-bodied friends and all they'd wanna do is complain about this or that. There are some very negative people "out there". And like I said, "had"!

And some of those shows on TV.... about "What Not To Wear" or "Ambush Makeover" or nonsense like that. People concern themselves with the most trivial of things.... take them so serious and won't shut up about them. The more (wrong) people I meet the more appreciation I have for my dog. That old saying makes more sense the older I get!

I have a neighbor who's also a friend. He must think I'm his mom, girlfriend or wife. He comes in and starts giving me a "play by play" of his boring day at work. I tell him.... "I don't wanna hear it... tell it to your mom or someone else". Or better yet, get a girlfriend and tell it to her. It's her official job to listen! I almost have to become rude to stop the yapping. But it never fails.... he'll somehow get it in. He just has to tell someone. He's 37 years old!

When I used to work.... it stayed there, at work. I didn't play my day back to anyone... even to my girlfriend or wife. Unless of course something really exciting happened.... like some guy got run over by a locomotive or something! Some people just aren't conversationalists but need to talk about something so they yap. Or they can't appreciate a few moments of silence.

Okay, I'm done my yappin'.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

I don't know about 'more freaky' but yes 'needy' people find you so approachable. I concur there.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I've always considered it as "The International Chair of Diplomacy"
    Seems like everyone automatically considers me as harmless, hence they open up and I hear all sorts of things.

Family, friends and even strangers just open up. I myself happen to be a listener for the most part. Then again maybe it's just me. I'm willing to listen when people need to talk. Friend to all.

Freaky Friends tend to be the ones that no one else will listen too. Perhaps it's that I can't 'run' away. I know how you feel. I've found out though, some of those friends that are different have some unique ideas or talents. Sometimes they are just freaky.
    Last edited by Rbrauer; 02-20-2006 at 11:04 AM.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

*snickers*

hell yes, this happens to me too! it drives me batty and makes me sad sometimes....but i find i really enjoy getting to know these "freaks." post-sci, i've been friends with strippers, gangbangers, old people...ummm...just "non-traditional" types. what can i say, the chair draws them in.