Thread: whats better

whats better

than limewire as far as search results and amount of material. thats free. is lime wirepro worth it.

I've never tried pro, but I've never had any problem with Limewire. It's quite fast if there are hosts for whatever you're downloading

Security Now with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte.
    February 16, 2006
    Steve: And another interesting note is some people have been reporting that GRC's ShieldsUP! system has been showing them some open ports where they used to be all stealth. Well, in working back and forth with them, we've tracked it down to the growth of UPnP-aware peer-to-peer systems. And this is something that you and I, Leo, I have to say we were ahead of this by, you know, a year or so. I knew that Universal Plug and Play enabled in routers was going to be a problem. And what's happening is the various peer-to-peer systems are now beginning to take advantage of that to open ports through people's routers in order to sort of, you know, solve the interconnection problem. But at the same time it is lowering their security.

So, for example, BearShare and LimeWire actually have verbiage on their sites that says "UPnP support can now detect enabled routers and automatically configure the router for LimeWire's optimal performance." Even the BitSpirit, BitTorrent client, it says "BitSpirit is a powerful and easy-to-use BitTorrent client. It supports simultaneous downloads, download queue, UPnP port mapping, and NAT traversal." So what we're beginning to see is we're seeing these clients are, behind people's backs, without notifying them, reprogramming their NAT routers to open ports back through the router. That's something, I mean, sure, if it's what you want, and you know it's what's going on, then hey, that's cool. But what's happening is this is being done, and people are running ShieldsUP! and saying, wait a minute, why do I have ports open? So this is happening behind people's backs.

Leo: They're being opened by these applications.

Steve: They're being opened by the applications because the routers have Universal Plug and Play enabled in the router.

Leo: And this is what we've been warning people against, and saying turn that off. Of course, it is a convenience, isn't it, when LimeWire automatically turns it on. Then you don't have to even think about it.

Steve: Well, it certainly is a convenience. And again, this is - we can now expect that trojans are not far away from doing this.

Leo: That's the problem. Convenient for LimeWire means convenient for trojans.

Steve: So, you know, in terms of progression from a security standpoint, the feature was created which, you know, we quickly identified as a bad idea. Then the feature got used by good programs. And we can expect shortly to see the feature being used by bad programs.

Leo: Great.

Steve: So again, you know, it's an early heads-up to people.

Leo: That's, yeah, wow. All right. So it's ShieldsUP! saying, yeah, you do have ports open, you just didn't know it. Surprise.
    Transcripts of Episode # 27

ShieldsUP!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

while youre in limewire, search for limewire and you can download the pro version free.

i use to have Limewire downloaded, but got a virus.. now i can download the program, but no songs. not sure what's going on.....?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I prefer IRC, but then i'm a bit old school too.
    Teyrn

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    i use to have Limewire downloaded, but got a virus.. now i can download the program, but no songs. not sure what's going on.....?
    The program itself is safe but the files you download may well not be. Make sure to turn on file extensions in Windows: Open My Computer, click Tools→Options…, press the View tab then uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types.” Make sure the files you download are .MP3 not .MP3.exe or .AVI not .AVI.exe. With extensions hidden (the Windows default) you can’t be sure.
    http://leoville.tv/radio/ShowNotes/Show153
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com