Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bittorenent question

I hate watching movies on my puter... I multitask.. But bI do have a D-link mediaplayer so I could watch them on my TV, but 1 its only WEP security, and 2 the playback features suck!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    Okay, how pathetic am I because I have that too and still d/l. lol! David and I don't have much time to go out on shifts, so I feel it's okay to spend the money per month on cable.

If you could download, or watch movies on the computer that are playing at the theatre right now, I would pay! No one offers that.
    Although you cannot find movies on Bittorrent that are still in the theater, you can download them as soon as they have been released for DVD's. Converting a downloaded movie to a DVD is also pretty simple and then you can watch it on your TV set.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

Written by Ernesto on August 17, 2007

Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads. A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
    Not for nothing, but I was downloading an... er, a Linux Live CD, this morning with BitTorrent and I maxed out at over 600KB/sec. The average download was around 450-500KB, and I use Comcast.

I haven't noticed any throttling at all.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

It looks like Time Warner cable is involved in packet shaping, which appears to be very bad news for World of Warcraft players.

I am starting to feel fortunate that I am with Cox cable.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

it's comcastic

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Not for nothing, but I was downloading an... er, a Linux Live CD, this morning with BitTorrent and I maxed out at over 600KB/sec. The average download was around 450-500KB, and I use Comcast.

I haven't noticed any throttling at all.

Steven
    I agree. I d/l at 1MB/s (burstable upto 2.3MB/s) and u/l on average 115KB/s with comcast. Your BitTorrent client also needs to be tweaked with the correct settings esp port fowarding, global connections, connected peers, upload slots with encryption enabled and forced....I think thats actually a requirement on private trackers with DHT turned off.

BitTorrent also depends on where you leech. If you're on a public tracker where most people have regular internet and a slow upload rate you aren't going to get a fast download. BUT, if you're on a private tracker where users probably have seed boxes (100/100mbit and 1000/1000mbit connections) you will max out your d/l even with a couple seeders.

I'd personally stay off public trackers and get on some private trackers. Thats where the speeds and the real content is. I cannot list them as per the rules and I'm an uploader on one in particular .

I also recommend utorrent as a client, simple for the newbs. stay away from azureus if you aren't somewhat advanced with bittorrent. http://www.utorrent.com IMO its the best and VERY light on resources.

oh and mike if you d/led a dvdrip of a movie there's a dvdr out there too. don't convert it
    Last edited by WADDiE; 08-30-2007 at 04:00 AM.

October 25, 2007 11:06 AM PDT
    Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent
    Posted by Chris Soghoian

While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave, another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in and regulate.

On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.

He was named Politician of the Year for 2006 by Library Journal, largely due to his efforts to protect the fair-use doctrine and expand Internet technologies to rural areas.

"Comcast has made a major mistake in attempting to hinder peer-to-peer file sharing as an aspect of its network management," Boucher said. "The inability of customers to (share files) significantly diminishes their ability to utilize the Internet for one of its most important applications, which is user-to-user content." He also noted that "file sharing is already being used for a wide variety of perfectly lawful and appropriate applications."

CNet
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Good to hear, sorta throwes the owness on the end user to decide if they want to break the law or not.

Every *nix distro is d/l via torrents, infact due to the way torents work, they'd save buttloads of bandwidth for companies who distribute legally.

Google Caught in Comcast Traffic Filtering?
    "Comcast users are reporting 'connection reset' errors while loading Google. The problem seems to have been coming and going over the past few days, and often disappears only to return a few minutes later. Apparently the problem only affects some of Google's IPs and services. Analysis of the PCAP packet dumps reveals several injected fake RSTs, which are very similar to the ones seen coming from the Great Firewall of China [PDF]. Did Google somehow get caught up in one of Comcast's blacklists, or are the heuristics flagging Google as a file-sharer due to the heavy traffic?"
    Source: /.

Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comcast is using a service out of Canada (Sandvine) that optimizes bandwidth consumption. I think the AP story makes this point clear about their relationship.

WB, Hans!
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com