Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bittorenent question

bittorenent question

why does it take so long to download bittorenents.like 2 days and stuff. apposed to like limewire,where i can download a movie in like 1-4hours depending on connection speed i have highspeed wireless.Can anyone reccomend the best bittorent player and sights to download bittorents.

Torrents take a while because the number of connected and completed peers doesn't stay high for very long.

We can't give out sites that distribute illegal torrents, but you can find legal torrents via the bittorrent.com search engine.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Do you allow uploads at the same time you download? Torrents are based on the premise of sharing. You don't have to share to download the software you want but your speeds will be greatly affected if you do choose not to share. You also need to make sure there are plenty of seeds when choosing something to download. A program with only 1 seeder will be a hell of a lot slower to download from then a program that is being seeded by 20 people. Your speed is also determained by the upload stream of the seeds too. Downloading a file being seeded by 20 people on dialup will be much slower then a file being seeded by 5 people using broadband. The client you use can also limit the speed in which you can transfer files too. I have used and liked Bit tornado and used to use BitLord but this one seems to be a bit taxing on the processor. First off though I would set my max number of uploads to unlimited or at the least 20. You won't use up all your bandwidth and doubtful you will hit the max 20 sends but because you are sharing you will or should see an improvement in downloads. If you already do this then you might look into finding another client to use or just make sure there are plenty of seeds for the program you want. Here is a torrent search engine I use, maybe you have been to some of these torrent sites but it is a handy little website.
    http://torrentsearcher.filesharingplace.com/
    Here is a link to some torrent clients too.
    http://www.bittornado.com/download.html
    http://www.bitlord.com/
    http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
    Teyrn

A Bit More About Bit Torrent for Those Who Need More of a Definition

Teyrn: Thanks for the links!

Extreme Tips: How bit torrent works

By: Andy Walker

How file sharing technology bit torrent works using Watermelon and Eggs.

Here's how bit torrent works

Let's say two people want a file that they find on a tracker, which is a server that keeps track of who has which files.

The tracker knows that one person has the file - they are called the seeder.

The two people that want the file are called leechers. They ask for the file and the tracker directs them to the seeder which sends them both different pieces of the file.

If the file has 10 pieces, leecher #1 would get parts 1, 2 and 3 from the seeder.

The seeder also gives leecher #2 parts 2, 4 and 6.

The rest of the article. . .
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Google with search argument:
    "[name of what you are looking for] filetype:torrent"

FILESOUP BITTORRENT COMMUNITY would be a good place to ask further questions.
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

go on newsgroups if your service provider has them...

alt.binaries.movies type stuff...i d/l a movie in 2 hrs

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

Written by Ernesto on August 17, 2007

Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads. A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.

ISPs have been throttling BitTorrent traffic for almost two years now. Most ISPs simply limit the available bandwidth for BitTorrent traffic, but Comcast takes it one step further, and prevents their customers from seeding. And Comcast is not alone in this, Canadian ISPs Cogeco and Rogers use similar methods on a smaller scale.

link
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Ack! I'm with Cogeco and didn't know they did this!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Yup....... rogers limits the upload rate, I use to upload at like 50-70k and then next morning its like sketchy.. 5-8k reliably and the torrent jumped... not 1 torrent woud go solid.

However, 1 torrent tracker uploads at reliable rates.. odd eh. It has to do with ports and what not. Guess it controls piracey, but damnit.. I pay my bill, i should be able to do what i want!

I don't d/l much though.. i have digital cable with movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    .. i have digital cable with movies.
    Okay, how pathetic am I because I have that too and still d/l. lol! David and I don't have much time to go out on shifts, so I feel it's okay to spend the money per month on cable.

If you could download, or watch movies on the computer that are playing at the theatre right now, I would pay! No one offers that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12