Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Time for stem cell research

Faye, let us talk about specific bills instead of lumping all non-HR810 bills as "decoy" bills. I think that we actually agree on most issues.

For example, I do not support Roscoe Bartlett's bill (and have said so in previous postings), because I believe that it is not good science. Likewise, I don't like Hurlburt's approach to disabling the egg before cloning (and have said that as well on numerous occasions).

I have not yet formed an opinion on the proposed bill from Senator Talent (see topic), suggesting a competition to find better ways beside SCNT for cloning ESC, because I need to see the details of what he is proposing. It is presently still too vague. If, for example, it is coupled with a delay of the passage of HR810, I would strongly oppose such a bill. HR810 does not allow cloning, by the way.

On the other hand, I do support bills that allocate more funding for umbilical cord blood and bone marrow stem cell research. The bill that BigBob called my attention earlier had to do with earmarking funding for non-ESC stem cell research and I don't see that this threatens HR810. I also strongly support Chris Smith's bill to increase collection of umbilical cord blood in the United States and only wish that it had appropriated more money for more clinical trial funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    I am expressing my opinion, concern and displeasure at seeing you and Steven have the idea that siding with the opposition is expedient, when all advocacy groups and the majority of scientists feel differently. I question why you would isolate yourselves from all those Pro-ESCR groups.
    Please stop mischaracterizing my position and motivation. I of course cannot speak for Steven but I am not isolating myself from Pro-ESCR groups. You are welcome to express your opinion, concern, and displeasure but it is inappropriate for you to re-interpret and mis-state what I have said to fit your own political goals, whatever they are.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 02-20-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Dr. Young, I have but one overriding political goal: to get ESCR approved for federal funding so we don't waste time and money on alternative farfetched research like dedifferentiation etc. And of course I am also working at the State level for state funding of ESCR.

I agree with you and am glad the Smith bill passed for UCB and would hope Pro-Life phylanthropists would help in that area rather than hold back ESCR.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Stem cell research will help the suffering and the economy

Stem cell research will help the suffering and the economy

Joel Seligman
    Guest essayist

(February 10, 2006) — There is an international race under way to unlock the potential of stem cell science. This competition has enormous implications for New York's research community, including the University of Rochester, and the biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies that rely on the innovation that emerges from the state's universities.
    It would be difficult to overstate the important role that stem cell science is likely to play in the future of biomedical research. Stem cell research touches upon several aspects of medical research and has the potential to prevent, treat or cure illnesses that today affect as many as 100 million Americans. At the UR Medical Center there are 18 laboratories engaged in embryonic and adult stem cell research, and our scientists are making significant contributions to the field, including research that may ultimately lead to new therapies for spinal cord injury, Parkinson's, cancer and heart disease. Many states — and approximately 20 countries — have recognized the

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...8/1039/OPINION

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Faye, let us talk about specific bills instead of lumping all non-HR810 bills as "decoy" bills. I think that we actually agree on most issues.

For example, I do not support Roscoe Bartlett's bill (and have said so in previous postings), because I believe that it is not good science. Likewise, I don't like Hurlburt's approach to disabling the egg before cloning (and have said that as well on numerous occasions).

I have not yet formed an opinion on the proposed bill from Senator Talent (see topic), suggesting a competition to find better ways beside SCNT for cloning ESC, because I need to see the details of what he is proposing. It is presently still too vague. If, for example, it is coupled with a delay of the passage of HR810, I would strongly oppose such a bill. HR810 does not allow cloning, by the way.
    Today in the St Louis-Dispatch:
    On Feb. 10, Sen. Jim Talent, R-Mo., gave the ideas a boost when, in a Senate speech, he withdrew support from an anti-cloning bill. He now proposes a $20 million prize to the first institution that harvests genetically matched stem cells without cloning a human embryo.

Some scientists question the proposal, saying it's already easy to get stem cells for research: Use the tens of thousands of frozen human embryos destined for disposal at fertility clinics.

The House has already passed legislation allowing such work. The Senate hasn't followed, so President George W. Bush's restriction still stands: Federally funded research can be done only on the two dozen or so usable stem cell lines created before Aug. 9, 2001. Some researchers say those lines are tainted.

"The field of stem cell research has been crippled by the lack of quality stem cell lines," said Dr. Robert Lanza, the medical director at Boston-based Advanced Cell Technology Inc.
    Other scientists, such as Washington University's Steven Teitelbaum, believe that the treatment of incurable diseases is more important than a "pinpoint-sized ball of undifferentiated cells." Efforts like ANT are a diversion from already existing ways of getting stem cells from embryos, he said.

It remains to be seen how Talent's proposal will affect a bill by Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., which would open up frozen embryos for stem cell work and match the bill passed last year by the House. Specter has 40 co-sponsors. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., is a co-sponsor and has indicated he would push for a vote this spring.

Lanza, who believes that life begins about a week after fertilization when an embryo is implanted in the womb, says existing and alternative approaches to harvesting stem cells could co-exist. Perhaps Specter's bill and Talent's proposal both will go forward.

"This research needs to be pursued side by side," Lanza said.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...A?OpenDocument

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Good article. Another excerpt:

George said that everyone on Bush's bioethics council believes that an idea known as dedifferentiation will be the best in the end. Dedifferentiation is a reprogramming or turning back of the clock for cells so that they regain the power they had as stem cells.

Going backward to create stem cells is easiest for people like George and Pacholczyk to accept because they believe human life is a continuum that moves forward at the moment an embryo is created.

"We want science to be good science," says Pacholczyk, who is excited at the way ethics has stimulated science.
    I happen to agree with the bioethics council's conclusion, and have felt that way long before their report was released.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

George said that everyone on Bush's bioethics council believes that an idea known as dedifferentiation will be the best in the end.
    Key words: "an idea known as dedofferentiation"
    and "best in the end"

When?

Some of us may not live long enough to see this happen.

Just because Tadeusz Pacholczyk, education director at the National Catholic Bioethics Center in Philadelphia, likes it doesn't mean we should forget about the majority of americans who do NOT WANT TO WAIT.

Dedifferentiation explained from the article:
    Newts do this, mysteriously, when their tails are cut off. The tail cells "remember" how to become stem cells again. The tail grows back. Last year, Canadian researchers identified some of the newt genes responsible for regeneration and are trying to find equivalent genes in humans. Harvard University researcher Kevin Eggan also has had some success. Last year, he published results showing that he had reprogrammed skin cells into becoming stem cells by fusing them with stem cells from one of Bush's approved lines.
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...A?OpenDocument

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Key words: "an idea known as dedofferentiation"
    and "best in the end"

When?
    Maybe before an idea known as human SCNT. As you recall, it has never been proven. "Some of us may not live long enough to see it."

Just because Tadeusz Pacholczyk, education director at the National Catholic Bioethics Center in Philadelphia, likes it doesn't mean we should forget about the majority of americans who do NOT WANT TO WAIT.
    Everyone on the bioethics committee likes the idea. We have to wait for SCNT.

The article is a little behind the times in dedifferentiation research. A population of skeletal muscle satellite cells are responsible for limb regeneration (and reprogramming/dedifferentiating cells). A similar population of cells contributes to tissue repair in mammals. Researchers are analyzing the genetic pathways in mammals and newts to find out where they diverge and how to allow mammals to regenerate limbs.

It's beautiful.
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 02-26-2006 at 12:14 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

But is your method proven? Did they find an alternative? Does working backwards work? Do adult stem cells reverted to a form of ESC work? BTW, can you prove scnt hasn't been proved? I bet you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    Maybe before an idea known as human SCNT. As you recall, it has never been proven. "Some of us may not live long enough to see it."

Everyone on the bioethics committee likes the idea. We have to wait for SCNT.

The article is a little behind the times in dedifferentiation research. A population of skeletal muscle satellite cells are responsible for limb regeneration (and reprogramming/dedifferentiating cells). A similar population of cells contributes to tissue repair in mammals. Researchers are analyzing the genetic pathways in mammals and newts to find out where they diverge and how to allow mammals to regenerate limbs.

It's beautiful.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810

I never claimed my method is proven.

Search the medical journals for human SCNT. Search here, if you like. I don't think you'll find anything, although there were some unconfirmed claims out of England a little while back.

If you're going to argue against funding a method because it is unproven, then you cannot support pushing for human SCNT -- as it is unproven -- and remain consistent.

And how long should we wait? The same amount of time we had to wait for science to win the geometrical war over the shape of the earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    I never claimed my method is proven.

Search the medical journals for human SCNT. Search here, if you like. I don't think you'll find anything, although there were some unconfirmed claims out of England a little while back.

If you're going to argue against funding a method because it is unproven, then you cannot support pushing for human SCNT -- as it is unproven -- and remain consistent.
    Don't ignore the Reeve Legacy, Remember he and Dana supported open research and fought hard for ESCR

StemCellBattles

Support H.R. 810