Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    I recall playing this game back in the late 80s or early 1990s and I thought the name of the game was Bob 1942? I had a friend who was a computer programer (not much of a gamer) and he was a veteran of World War II, like my Dad (thanks, Robert). He also flew TBM Avengers in the Pacific (same as President Bush) and he really enjoyed this game. I like the game as well and Teyrm's description of it brought back some old memories.

I haven't played computer games in a long time and it's not because I hate them. It's because I love them so much, I would never get any work done!
    I think I'll have to try the Tiger Woods PGA game and I hope I can do everything with the Kensington Expert Mouse.
    YES! this is the game BoB 1942 Was pre-windows and I played using DOS 4.something..i think. Was about my favorite game of the time I played for hours and hours and never got work done in the shop. Thanks PN this game does bring back a lot of memories. This was the same time I was injured, I would play games at work on Friday and then that Saturday go riding with friends. That last Saturday was a doozie and I never played bob again.
    Last edited by teyrn; 02-24-2006 at 01:58 AM.
    Teyrn

I can't find any mention of BoB 1942 (Battle of Britain) by Googling for it. What you could be recalling is likely the follow up DOS game to Battlehawks 1942 called "Their Finest Hour: Battle of Britain (a.k.a. Their Finest Missions: Volume One)" Released 1989 by Lucasarts in DOS. Thus the confusion of the year 1942 and the title BoB or Battle of Britain.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1148

Shortly after the release of Battlehawks 1942, Lucasarts released this game, which is essentially the same as Battlehawks, only this time the action happens in Europe, having the British and the Germans fighting for supremacy. The same sprite problems remain, but the graphics look cleaner in this version. The same flight modelling is still around, preferring ease of use to accuracy. Get this if you liked Battlehawks. Highly recommended!
    It's still available USED through Amazon. It's included in a 5 game set and is still in DOS. But it's $69.98!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...637986-0119359

But on eBay (single game only) for only $8.95 plus $4.75 shipping.

It's possible to play old DOS games on XP but there's no guarantee. You're very computer savvy Teyrn so should be able to do it. Ah, the good old days of DOS when a fast processor was a 486DX running at 50MHz and a large hard drive was 2GBs!

http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php How to run DOS in XP.

You probably could run it for sure on Win98 since it's DOS-based. I think I still have a copy of 98 here that I could send ya.

My "doozie" was on a Sunday afternoon.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    I haven't played computer games in a long time and it's not because I hate them. It's because I love them so much, I would never get any work done!
    I think I'll have to try the Tiger Woods PGA game and I hope I can do everything with the Kensington Expert Mouse.
    Tiger works great with the Trackball....... I use it and can make great shots, plus it makes you feel like your playin the arcade version of golf

I started playing egolf in Win95. I still have MS Golf 3.0 lying around here somewhere collecting dust. I even joined an online egolf team called "The Goodfellas"! We won the ladder Championship. I bought all the following MS Golf games in the series then they merged with "Links" and the game changed so much that I jumped the MS ship to Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 by EA Sports and haven't looked back. I bought the next release 2005 but for some reason I still prefer 2004. I haven't even reinstalled 2005 since my last format and clean install of XP.

I might try out Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006 which was just released a few months ago.... I'm a sucker like that. I'll probably like it less than 2005, put it in that "special" drawer and stick with 2004. There isn't much if any difference in the graphic quality between 2004 and 2005, just added bullshit trinkets like "Tiger Proofing" the courses and "Legends Tour" stuff. Plus 8 different courses.

There's a whole website of "Golf Course Architects" that design different courses for the Tiger Woods PGA Tour series for free. There may be over 100 courses available... I haven't counted them all. Some take overhead satellite images off the Internet to help design them accurately. It's the only way to play "Augusta" since the course management or owners haven't (to my knowledge) given any egolf game publishers permission to use their "exclusive" high filutin' name or golf course. Amen Corner is fun to play.

My favorite mouse to use is the old tried and true Intellimouse Explorer. I use the laser over the ball now but it's the left click button that you need to master! I like the feel of the MS left click micro-switch. I've tried other brands but always come back to the MS. I'm a para so don't need anything special.

My sister who is able-bodied likes the trackball. Logitech or Kensington... I forget. She bought me one as a gift and I tried it out. The big red round ball kept coming outta its hole, rollin' off the desk and onto the floor! Mom always said that I was rough on things. Hey, take one look at my SCI body and that's proof enough for me. Anyway, I gave it back to her as a backup for hers.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

DOS isn't a problem I have the latest MS DOS ver. and an empty partition on my hard drive. Dual booting to play games doesn't bug me. I also have a computer part built that I could toss together just for a DOS box as well. I'm not sure though I am going to plop down 70 bux just to relive some memories of an old game though. Course if I was to win the lottery or something that could be a diffrent story. I really appreaciate you all looking up these old titles for me. It really has brought back memories, thanks.
    Teyrn

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    DOS isn't a problem I have the latest MS DOS ver. and an empty partition on my hard drive. Dual booting to play games doesn't bug me. I also have a computer part built that I could toss together just for a DOS box as well. I'm not sure though I am going to plop down 70 bux just to relive some memories of an old game though. Course if I was to win the lottery or something that could be a diffrent story. I really appreaciate you all looking up these old titles for me. It really has brought back memories, thanks.
    I no longer see the 5 game set which included "Their Finest Hour: Battle of Britain" that was $69.98. Maybe some sucker bought it or the guy posted it somewhere else or whatever. But I think there are still 2 copies of the game you want on that eBay page though.

Their Finest Hour: Battle of Britain (a.k.a. Their Finest Missions: Volume One)" Released 1989 by Lucasarts in DOS

1- THEIR FINEST HOUR battle of britain world war 2 $8.95 & $4.75 shipping.
    2- Their Finest Hour (PC) 1989 Lucasfilm Games $19.99 shipping cost not specified. It's from Canada.

But if nostalgia isn't the most important criteria and you want a good combat flight simulator and your computer is mid-level performance-wise pick up a copy of Combat Flight Simulator 2. It's Pacific Theater based so you get aircraft carrier operations. And it's only 15 bux at Amazon and if you shop around (eBay etc.) you can probably find it for $5. If you really want the European Theater then go with the older Combat Flight Simulator 1 which I can't vouch for because I never had it. CFS3 is European-based too but you'll need a fairly hefty gaming computer to play it right.

The best MS Flight Simulator and Combat Flight Simulator website and more importantly Forums is Simviation. Just click on "Free Access" and you can check them all out. There are thousands of free downloads there as well. Different aircraft, (even helicopters) campaigns, missions, terrain, meshes etc.

Pick up an inexpensive joystick too. Keyboard and mouse flying isn't really flight simulation, it's an arcade game.

Try out the free IL-2 Sturmovik demo-146mbs for a taste of European Theater air combat. You should have a fairly fast computer to run this simulator but turn down the rez or graphics and give it a try. The learning curve on the newer simulators is pretty high so you'll need to jot down on paper at least the most important keystrokes. Like engine start, landing gear, flaps etc. It may have an option to fly it rudderless... look in the Flight Options.

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    Course if I was to win the lottery or something that could be a diffrent story.
    Thanks for reminding me. I have $20 worth of Wednesday's Florida Lotto tickets that I haven't checked out yet. Hey, if I hit the big one I'll buy ya any dozen games/sims you want and throw in a top of the line Alienware ALX gaming computer just for the helluva it! Wish us luck!

I found out I can upgrade my card. Is a Nvidia 6800 GO good for gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor
    I found out I can upgrade my card. Is a Nvidia 6800 GO good for gaming?
    Hi Trevor,

It's the second best laptop/notebook nVidia video card available. Only overshadowed by the GeForce Go 7800 GTX and GeForce Go 7800. I have two (SLI) 6800 Ultras in my new gaming computer so yes, it's a good gaming card.

What speed processor do you have in your Inspiron 9300? The Inspiron 9300 can come with an IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® M Processor Up to the 770 which is a 2.13GHz, 2MB Cache, 533MHz FSB processor.

If you want to set it up for gaming an nVidia 6800 GO video card would definitely help. But you may want to upgade your memory first to 1gb (if you only have 512mbs now). The Inspiron 9300 can hold up to 2gbs.

But it only has 2 SoDIMM sockets on the motherboard. Hopefully you only have 1 - 512mb SoDIMM DDR2 dual-channel module in there so you can just add another "matching" 512mb SoDIMM module to take advantage of the dual-channel technology. But they probably put 2 - 256mb SoDIMM DDR2 dual-channel modules in there so you'll need to get rid of them and buy a 1gb (2-512mb) dual-channel memory KIT. That sux! They're sold in kits because all memory modules are a little bit different and you get the best results from dual-channel modules that come from the same "batch". Hopefully you already have a gig of memory in your Inspiron.

And if the mobile nVidia 6800 GO is anything like the 6800 desktop version, it will put a hurting on your battery life. And they get pretty hot too.

EDIT: You may or may not need to buy it from Dell. Many of their components are "proprietary" and MUST be purchased from them. But if you don't need to then you can shop around and get it cheaper elsewhere. Dell will no longer "warranty" a video card that isn't purchased from them but your warranty on everything else should remain intact. You should call or email Dell to make sure.
    Last edited by bob clark; 03-03-2006 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Where to get a Dell mobile video card

Thanks Bob,

I upgraded to 2 gb RAM. I see alot of 7800 GTX's and 6800 Ultra cards on Ebay. They are alot cheaper than buying one from Dell. I have an Intel x86 processor. Can that be changed or is it ok?
    Last edited by Trevor; 03-03-2006 at 10:29 PM.

I have a 6800 GT with PCI express, its nice! Make sure you have a nice cool system though! u don't want it to overheat
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home