Thread: iPod battery

Question iPod battery

About a week ago I got a JBL on Stage II dock w/ speakers for my iPod. I find myself using it a lot... my question, the dock constantly keeps the iPod at full charge... Is this going to effect the wear on the battery? Make it ( battery) die faster in the long run?

Q: Is it okay to leave the iPod in the dock, or otherwise attached to external power, for extended periods of time?

A1: Yes. The iPod's circuitry will no longer charge the battery once it is determined to be full, even if the iPod is still attached to external power.

A2: This can also be a more complicated issue. Lithium ion batteries age faster when stored at full charge. If your usage of the iPod consists almost exclusively of use while plugged in for extended periods of time such as weeks or months, and very limited usage from the battery, the battery is essentially always in a charged state. A fully charged lithium ion battery ages at a faster rate than a lithium ion battery at the optimum storage capacity of approximately 40%. However, keeping an iPod battery near this optimum storage capacity can prove difficult to manage. A lithium ion battery also ages from use, as well as from storage, so the aging effects of constant use of the battery in order to keep the charge closer to 40%, versus constant use while attached to external power, come close to being even.
    http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/#14
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    This can also be a more complicated issue. Lithium ion batteries age faster when stored at full charge. If your usage of the iPod consists almost exclusively of use while plugged in for extended periods of time such as weeks or months, and very limited usage from the battery, the battery is essentially always in a charged state. A fully charged lithium ion battery ages at a faster rate than a lithium ion battery at the optimum storage capacity of approximately 40%. ...
    Many thanks Paul. This is exactly the info I was looking for. Excellent link you have provided too.

I had read battery info on Apple page but nothing as specific as this. This will help me manage the usage.

Thanks again,
    Ches

ChesBay,

You're welcome and I think we have the same docking station.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

ChesBay,

You're welcome and I think we have the same docking station.
    yes looks the same. The stage II comes with a remote also and I like that. I got it for $119.00 so it seemed like a good deal and good sound for the small space I use it in (bedroom).

For those of you with an iPod dock (JPL or Bose), what percent of the time does your iPod spend in the dock? Think it's worthwhile to get one?
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    yes looks the same. The stage II comes with a remote also and I like that. I got it for $119.00 so it seemed like a good deal and good sound for the small space I use it in (bedroom).
    Ches:

You are a savvy shopper! When my JPL docking station was purchased (about five months ago) on Amazon I did not recall seeing a remote-contro unit.

Dan:

I leave my iPod in the docking station about 80% of the time. I think the sound quality of the JPL is very good and it was money well spent for my situation.
    --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Ches:

You are a savvy shopper! When my JPL docking station was purchased (about five months ago) on Amazon I did not recall seeing a remote-contro unit.
    I got lucky with price Paul. I saw the Onstage II which is most recent version that has added remote in a "Circuit City" online ad. It was listed as "out of stock" and also the 3 or 4 stores within 20 miles were listed as out of stock. I happened to go in to Circuit City to look at other docking stations and not really intending to buy. As I was looking I came across one (JBL) in the box, the salesperson looked it up on the net and they gave it top me at that price, $119.00. I just looked again and it is $159.00 after $40. rebate & in-stock at all stores ( but out of stock online) so I definitely lucked out.

Dan,

my answer is about the same as Paul's. I think becuse it is winter I don't go outdoors with iPod as much as I would in nice weather so I tend to leave it in dock back in my bedroom. I have Ipod music library on computer with some decent speakers so I listen to that and my stereo in other parts of the house.

I think for the price the JBL is a good deal and good sound quality.

http://www.kokopellimusic.us/
    http://www.ipodbattery.com/

battery replacement........5G aren't out yet but i'm sure they'll carry 5g batteries soon...i just bought a 30gb ipod video off ebay

My iPod battery died after 6 months. I think think it was from keeping it docked all of the time.