Thread: causes of headache due bladder filling

causes of headache due bladder filling

I developed severe headache while sleeping. when I woke up and checked the bed, it was wet. I found the catheter was tightly folded resulting blockage of urine flow thus leading to pissing of some urine.

I would like to know is there any relationship between filling up of bladder and headache and if so, how they are related?

I am under SPC.

It's called autonomic dysreflexia. When your bladder/bowel or some other noxious stimuli makes your blood pressure sky rocket till the stimulus is removed. In your case your bladder overextended and then voided.

Do a search on AD it can be dangerous.

Hi,

Yes, definitely become familiar with autonomic dysreflexia, which is listen as #8 in this review, which also has alot of good general ino on SCI.
    http://carecure.org/index.php?page=v...5@SCIFaq05.htm

You should give this information to your family anad doctors so that they are familiar with AD and know what to do if this should happen.

AAD

Liz321 and SCI Nurse,
    Thank you for the advice. Some more advise would be more helpful to me. Earlier my bladder capacity was more than a liter but now it seems to be less than 300ml. What to do? pl. help me by providing more information.

Do your feet swell during the day? If so, you're going to pee more at night as the swelling goes down (when you're sleeping, horizontal and feet are up).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by dgbharathi
    Liz321 and SCI Nurse,
    Thank you for the advice. Some more advise would be more helpful to me. Earlier my bladder capacity was more than a liter but now it seems to be less than 300ml. What to do? pl. help me by providing more information.
    Perhaps heavy bacterial colonization of your bladder or the beginning of a UTI. Seems as though something is irritating your bladder.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

When one has an indwelling catheter in (either suprapubic or urethral) the bladder capacity does decreas. The bladder is a muscle, if it does not routinely expand, it loses its capacity to stretch. That is not permanent. If you were to change to intermittent catheterization, the bladder muscle would be able to slowly increase its capacity.

JM

Thank you all for the advice.

cheers.