Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Neurovita ~

80 percent chance of regaining the use of his arms and hands

Sat., November 11, 2006 - 01:33 AM
    Originally created Saturday, November 11, 2006

Injured man sees new hope in Russia

He was left paralyzed in a 2003 accident; now, a treatment holds promise.

By KEVIN TURNER, Nassau Neighbors staff writer

HILLIARD - Raymond Krolikowski just wants to hug his wife and daughters again.

Krolikowski, 31, has been paralyzed from the shoulders down since a bull-riding accident at a Jacksonville bar in 2003. Now he's hoping a pioneering clinic in Russia will help him regain the use of more of his body.

"I'd do anything to hold my wife and kids," ......

At the time of the accident, Krolikowski was in the U.S. Navy, stationed at Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base in St. Marys, Ga. After the accident he was taken to a Veterans Affairs hospital in Tampa, his paralysis nearly total. He needed a ventilator to breathe.

"They told me I would never get off the ventilator," he said. "The compression is just as bad as severing the spinal cord. It left me paralyzed. It took 41/2 months, but now I'm considered one of their miracle children."

.....In subsequent therapy, he was able to straighten his arms, but his progress stalled there. And living with his injury has not always been easy. He's in a spinal injury support group and is being treated for depression, he said.

"I've got problems with my temper because I'm unable to do anything," Krolikowski said.

Now he says he's determined to pursue the promise of more progress offered by stem cell therapy and willing to travel halfway around the world to get it.

NeuroVita, a Moscow-based clinic, is a pioneer in stem cell treatments for spinal cord injuries, but does not use stem cells harvested from embryos, a process that's controversial in the United States. NeuroVita claims on its Web site that the clinic's stem cells treatment takes cells only from the patient.

Krolikowski said he and his wife discovered the Russian clinic on the Internet as they did research on treatment options. NeuroVita's doctors gave him an 80 percent chance of regaining the use of his arms and hands after they reviewed laboratory results from his American doctors, he said.

"I need at least $30,000. That includes the surgery and the rehabilitation and therapy afterward. It will take about $5,000 to pay to get me over there and back."

He said he'll need two people to help get him on and off the plane and to help him get through the long plane flight. His said he expects that his friend Bruce Tubman and his brother Carl Krolikowski will come along to assist him.

Krolikowski said it's not a question of whether he will go to Russia, but when.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/111106/nen_6109919.shtml

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

*Bump- in the way of updates? Hoping all are well and improvements continue!
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Bump.

Any updates, musclebeach?
    Daniel

Sorry guys! I have not been on this website for AGES!!

Yes updates, I wont bore you with unwanted details, unless of course you want me to! Haha.

Nothing huge, but definite gains that I can almost completely attribute to my stem cell treatments...

-Leg sweating (Never had it before going to Moscow, something about asympathetic or parasympathetic.)
    -Leg tingling (Dont even ask me to explain this, but when I try moving my legs, they tiggle like crazy. They also tingle like crazy when I put weight on them, like in the stander. The tiggling is not painful, but it almost hurts, but at the same time feels good, odd I know.)
    -Hips (I was a T10, but now exhibit motor function, not sensation, of an L1. In the water I can pull my leg up and side to side using my hips.)
    -Lower trace movement (When sitting on a bed and someone attemps to push me over, my IT-band kicks in, just a little, but it does kick in. I am also able to lock/unlock my knees when in a harness with about 50% of my bodyweight, I know I just abs/hips to do it, but have some trace movement in glutes/quads, small twitches.)
    -I can tell when I have to go to the bathroom (1 and 2), not perfectly, but way better. I would say this is the biggest thing I have noticed. I dont look at the clock anymore and say oh I better go to the bathroom now. I just go when I "feel" I have to go. I still have to cath, but I have the sensation that I need to go and can "hold it" to some degree.

I never went into this expecting it to be THE CURE, but I did go into it with an optimistic attitude and I have seen some benefits.

I will be going back March 5th, for my fifth trip. I was going to do Project Walk this summer, but you all know how it is, but a busy schedule takes you over!

In the past two weeks I have been in two articles telling my chronicles of travel to Moscow for stem cell treatment since Bush (aka the top nominee for the worst president of all time) is being a big cocksucker on this. It has definitely spread the knowledge or what is possible and how fucked up it is that as far ahead our country is in technology I have to travel to Moscow to do this (as least for now). The response to these articles was phenomenal and I can only hope I did a small part in this "fight."

It is 240am as I type this... the only time I have to get on here. I wish everyone good luck in the "fight" and to have a WONDERFUL day!!!!

Impossible is Nothing.

-Jeff.
    IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

Thank you very much Jeff. I hope you see more improvement soon.

Any news muscle.