Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The rise and fall of my para belly

Quote Originally Posted by Aly
    How far up are you getting and how much of your back are you getting off of the bed? My shoulders come all the way off the bed but not much more. I know we are different levels just wnt something to compare to.

Hard to say. The first 10 crunches (where I get the most va-va-voom!) are the most successful and with them my shoulder blades are off the mattress and maybe a little more. The pull in my abdomen is very strong if I really concentrate hard on making it so. I get the feeling that if I persist for long enough I might even be able to get enough momentum to end up sitting! Maybe that is wishful thinking, but it sort of feels within reach.
    Given your level, getting your shoulders off the bed sounds pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly
    How far up are you getting and how much of your back are you getting off of the bed? My shoulders come all the way off the bed but not much more. I know we are different levels just wnt something to compare to.
    Aly,
    I'm also C-6 and am able to accomplish the same as you have with getting my shoulders off, too. I think the trick is going to be a) minimizing your momentum so that you're not getting the swing effect to come up and down, instead making full stops in between each "crunch"; b) mentally concentrating real hard on your ab muscles EVEN if you can't feel them down there, as if pretending that you have full sensation and ability of your abs. This would mean that you can't have distractions like music and TV running at the same time; c) every time you come up, try as much as you can, even if it's for half a second, to hold in that position and make your abs work harder.

I've taken carbar's initiative and tweaked it a bit to come up with a variation of it. The other thing I recommend doing is to measure your waist now and see what happens in 30-day intervals. Right now, I do 4-5 sets of 50 each morning and night while I'm in bed. I like carbar's idea of slipping my legs over the edge of the bed as this also stretches my hip flexors a little bit, too. And it also feels great to get my heart rate up significantly at the end of each set. Overall, I think quite a few benefits will be realized from this simple exercise.

The other exercise that I've been doing while in bed is to sit up, lean forward so that my head is now just about between my knees and then try to push back as much as I can even with minimal to no ability to push all the way up. I do this 4-5 sets of 50, same number of times as my ab exercise. This gets your back muscles working EVEN if you can't feel them. I had heard from an exercise physiologist that to get your quad belly working, both abs and back muscles need working, not just your abs.

I've decided to try this out for the next 2-3 months and see what happens. It is a zero cost exercise that takes no more than 20 minutes each time. What do we have to lose ... other than hopefully a quad belly.

felieh, what you described is very similar to what I am trying. Even stopping between each set I cannot decide if the swinging of my arms is getting me up off the bed or any use of trace abs I may or may not have. No distractions, are you kidding me I have to have music to work out. Silence while trying to do that would kill me. I have a cardio workout tape and the first thing I do is turn the volume of her obnoxious voice off and crank up some music.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Congrats on the incredible shrinking belly.

Here are two i just came up with and have begun experimenting. First for abs, lye in bed and put pillows behind your back so you are sitting close to upright. Focus on abs and try to crunch so that you are straight. Now, one favorite of powerlifters training for a big lift is partials. Their method will be to train one specific area of the range of motion with heavier than normal weights and gradually add range every so many workouts. So, i thought, why not do the same. Every so often, try to remove/reposition pillows so that you are farther and farther from upright so you are forced to crunch a longer range of motion. If my experiment goes well, i will write a full article about it including some other little ideas to make it more effective :-) I am a certified personal trainer, so now i decided to start applying everything to make us more stable, might be a shot in the dark but anything is worth a try.
    Another i am working on is find a small downhill slope, very small. A small pothole or similar ground indentation would work or you inside you can use a 2 x 6 under the rear wheels. Lock in place and if you have help, have someone hold the chair so it doesn't roll. Now, place your hands on the front of the chair and lean forward just before the point of no return. Again, work this range of motion for your sets. Every so many workouts, try to increase the range. So, you lean forward, let go of front of chair and try to squeeze shoulder blades together to bring yourself back to upright position. My hope is this will work the lower back, or at the very least, help with balance and stability.

The rise and fall of my para belly

I just wanted to check and see how the stomach thing was going. I am going to try your exercise myself and see if it helps me at all. I have a pretty good work out program just trying to get rid of the belly

Nice work!

exqusit1, I'm with you about hating to sport a belly after having a 6-pack my whole life!

Adding torsional type excercises has been also interesting. Sitting up as tall as possible while grabbing the balasters at the foot of the staircase, my kids and I play a game where I rotate from side to side keeping shoulders steady. I concentrate driving my knees to the side. When the "door" opens one way the kids scoot through. They try to go back through when it opens. Pat

I have continued with my exercises in bed and though I have not seen a shrinkage in the size of my belly, I have also not seen any increase in its size. So, although I am disappointed with that, I am happy that I seemed to have stopped the beast dead in its tracks ... for now.

It is tough to stay motivated though doing these exercises regularly and for that, I have my GF to thank who constantly is on my ass if I don't do them.

Carbar, i used to do those situps (T4 comp) but i stopped prob too early as i was dubious if there was any real benefit. But I might give it another go, do a 4 week program and see if there is any improvement.

I stopped for a while because the exercise seemed to be putting a strain on my neck! But I do think it makes a difference, keeps the belly tidier looking.