Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The rise and fall of my para belly

The rise and fall of my para belly

Reason to be cheerful:

Belly is going down!
    Since the beginning of this year, I have been doing crunches (in the broadest meaning of the word) and it looks like they are paying off because my belly is definitely much tidier. Maybe I am eating a little less too, but no major change.
    Each morning I lie on my bed, with lower legs dangling over the side. I raise my arms behind my head and then swing forward. When I first started (am T4 complete, no feeling/action below armpits) I was just about lifting my head and my neck seemed to do most of the work, but as the weeks go on I am lifting more and more of my body and can really feel the pull down my torso. I do 4 lots of 10 crunches each morning.
    If I put my hands behind my head and try the same, of course I don't get as much of a lift - the momentum of my arms thrusting forward is totally necessary to get real movement. Still, the result is what counts and there is definitely a result. If it continues and I have a belly to be proud of, maybe I'll post a pic!!

An alternative that will also help with your upper arms/shoulders as well as abs and body control.

Sitting up(works great in a chair too) With a dumbell, or bar from 5-10lbs
    Extend the weight from your chest strait out and down to your knees.

This will make you feel as though it is pulling you over forward. Your abs should kick in as you try to stabalise yourself.

Grats on the crunches!
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Well done, carbar!

Gosh, I wouldn't mind getting rid of my para belly either. But as a T2 para, I can't see that doing what you are describing would do much good for me.
    And my para belly is HUGE, too!

BTW, the title of your thread is most amusing. I'm not sure why, it just sounds comical.

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Well done, carbar!

Gosh, I wouldn't mind getting rid of my para belly either. But as a T2 para, I can't see that doing what you are describing would do much good for me.
    And my para belly is HUGE, too!

BTW, the title of your thread is most amusing. I'm not sure why, it just sounds comical.
    give it a try keps - I admit that I felt a bit of a fool at first with so little movement apart from my head and neck, but persistance has paid off.

the title of thread puts me in mind of 'the rise and fall of reginald perrin' - did you ever see that - I thought it really funny! Oh Miss Jones! Oh Reginald! (I know you are way too young to have seen the originals but you may have seen reruns!!)

Carbar sounds like you are doing sit ups with your ams like I roll. I swing my arms from one side to the other to get the body moving so that I can flip over. I will have to try the sit ups ecpecially since I just ate a choclate choclate chip muffin.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    give it a try keps - I admit that I felt a bit of a fool at first with so little movement apart from my head and neck, but persistance has paid off.

the title of thread puts me in mind of 'the rise and fall of reginald perrin' - did you ever see that - I thought it really funny! Oh Miss Jones! Oh Reginald! (I know you are way too young to have seen the originals but you may have seen reruns!!)
    Wasn't Miss Jones from Rising Damp? I loved that program.
    Yeah, I must've been thinking of Reginald Perrin when I saw your thread title.

Maybe I will give your method a try when I get too hacked off with my belly. I can cope with it until then, though. (ie, I'm just too darned lazy to try )

Thanks Carbar & Rbraur. This info is helpful. I am always looking to improve my exercise program. I will try these.

Quote Originally Posted by keps
    Wasn't Miss Jones from Rising Damp? I loved that program.
    Yeah, I must've been thinking of Reginald Perrin when I saw your thread title.
    )
    you are right - I'm mixing up my Leonard Rossiters - they are all funny though!

If your not ready for weights, try extending arms out to the sides, then bring your hands together slowly. Make sure to keep your back strait (as possible). If you slump then you don't get as much use of your abs for back support.

If your ready for wieghts, but don't have any, simply fill a used soda bottle with water (Dont' forget to screw the cap back on or, well, you'l find out).
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

How far up are you getting and how much of your back are you getting off of the bed? My shoulders come all the way off the bed but not much more. I know we are different levels just wnt something to compare to.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni