Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: There is hope for recovery from SCI

There is hope for recovery from SCI

I am grateful to have been able to bring my son to SCI-Step a few weeks ago. He was injured 2 1/2 years ago, breaking 10 vertebrate and recieving a bruise at T7-8 which paralyzed him from his rib cage down. He was diagnosed as a complete and 5 Doctors told me he would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life and I should accept it. Since coming to SCI-Step I have been amazed at the things they have helped him do, I almost cried when I saw him taking steps on the parallel bars with the therapist assisting by placing his feet sometimes. I was thhrilled to see him riding a bike which he has never been able to do before. My heart sang when I watched the quads at SCI-step working and taking steps with walkers in harnesses and when I watched the guys doing laps with crutches and walkers. There is recovery from SCI and I have seen it happening. I am hoping that there will be others who will take the actions needed to give help to SCI victims and get them out of their chairs . My son would be sitting in his chair at home not knowing what he could do if I had not been fortunate enough to be able to come to SCI- Step. I believe this is the best recovery center in this country and hope the tools that are used here will be shared with others who need them. i highly recommend SCI-step to those who want recovery and hope. SCI-Step uses all of the tools that have been shown throughout the world to promote recovery for SCI, this is important. they also do not shun the medical community,but are trying to help them understand what works to help those who have to deal with SCI. I am grateful and have hope !

That is awesome news, Meredith. Congratulations. I know you must be very proud of your son's achievements and bravery.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Tate
    SCI-Step uses all of the tools that have been shown throughout the world to promote recovery for SCI, this is important. they also do not shun the medical community,but are trying to help them understand what works to help those who have to deal with SCI.
    This is great news for your son, Meredith. I truly hope and pray for continued success!

Are there SCI recovery centers out there that unfairly shun the medical community? Has this been your personal experience?
    Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Congratulations, how exciting for you and your son. I wish that everyone with a spinal cord injury had access to this kind of rehab.

I love stories like this, it always brings a smile to my face. Keep up the great work.
    Last edited by determined2heal; 02-14-2006 at 09:12 PM.
    Josh Basile

www.determined2heal.org

"Hope is the drug that keeps me steady"

That's great to hear, Meredith! I also got to see the great accomplishments that are made at SCI-Step, as I was there for the last two summers. Even though I was just there for the summer, I saw definite improvements in my upper body, as well as new movements in my lower body! SCI-Step has the best equipment, great staff, and an awesome environment. I, too, wish everyone could go!

David V.

where no one has gone before...SW Pennsylvania
    where is this place? i'm VERY interested!
    Please Visit My Blog at: http://queenquad.blogspot.com

But those who wait on the Lord
    Shall renew their strength;
    They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
    They shall run and not be weary,
    They shall walk and not faint
    Isaiah 40:31

Weepinglamb, they're in Ohio. Their web site is http://www.sci-step.com/ where you can find out more about them.

Meredith, thank you for posting .. I also love hearing stories like yours

Luv it !!! Congradulations!

Meredith,
    A very warm congratulations to your son and family. Thanks so much for sharing your story. My daughter also suffered needlessly during therapy. Although she did find movement in her toes in one leg prior to six weeks, and was also classified as incomplete, the P.T.s and some Dr., nurses were very negative. Early movement sometimes makes recovery easier, but when the staff is negative, it makes it tough. You need more than an hour of exercise a day! Anyhow we came to Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore, MD. and felt like we were in heaven. Not only do they have great equipment, but the therapists are wonderful! My daughter, 15, SCI post 11 months has made remarkable improvements and is much happier!