Thread: Tai Chi elderly/wheelchair classes

Tai Chi elderly/wheelchair classes

The Taoist Tai Chi Society is starting a program for seated participants. I have attended the last three sessions here in Portland, and have found it very enjoyable and good for stretching the chest and shoulders, as well as working on the recovery of my trunk muscles.

The instructors aren't therapists, and know little to nothing about the limitations of various SCI restrictions and issues, though my instructors have certainly been willing to work with me to maximize my enjoyment of the forms. Know your own limits and communicate them to the instructor as the need arises.

What they do is, at a regional level, teach their instructors how to teach the forms from a seated position.

If you are interested, check out International Taoist Tai Chi Society and look up the center for your region.

Life changing? Probably not. Cure oriented? No. Fun way to work out and socialize? Yes.

-- JB

I saw a book recently about seated Ti Chi I think it was a little SCI specific. Looked intresting if I find the mag it was in I'll give the title and aurthor.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Blog Entries
    http://www.activevideos.com/taichi.htm

here are some dvds, I searched them on amazon.com, read about them and ordered two of them, the Chi Kung for Health - Six Seated Meditations Video
    and the Qigong Beginning Practice Video
    also got a book The Healer Within : Using Traditional Chinese Techniques To Release Your Body's Own Medicine *Movement *Massage *Meditation *Breathing" by Roger Jahnke

went to the website and located a place here in town that has regular classes. Gonna check it out when the new class starts. I always go the used route on amazon and save bundles. All three above including shipping about 35 bucks.
    the book was 3.50

thanks for the suggestion, been thinking about this off and on over the years