Thread: Portable Alternating Pressure Air Mattress or Other For Travel?

Portable Alternating Pressure Air Mattress or Other For Travel?

I use an alternating pressure air mattress at home and it's great for my skin but I have trouble when I travel because my mattress is too bulky to bring along. I do have a foam pad, similiar to an egg crate mattress, that I can lay on top of the hotel mattress but it doesn't do the trick - I always have some issues around my tail bone. Anybody know of an alternating pressure air mattress that isn't too cumbersome to travel with or another solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance......

You could try the Gaymar Sof-Care pad with companion pump. It is not alternating (which is actually not very useful for pressure reduction) but does maintain a low pressure.

If you are using blue thin eggcrate, I agree that is also worthless. A better quality foam pad would be something like the Biogard AFT or GeoMatt foam overlay.

(KLD)

Thanks for the info, I use a GeoMatt while traveling and it doesn't do the trick. I appreciate the info on the Gaymar system.... any recommendations on which model is best for travel? Thanks again.

I am about to embark on a three week road trip and will be staying in at least a dozen different hotels/motels. At home I use a Hill-rom Synergy mattress. I have purchased a Gaymar Sof-care Mattress Overlay to sleep on. The instructions are simple enough, but does anyone have any experience that they would like to share, tips, for using it?

Thank you.

Noel

Did it come with the home inflation valve so you can use a tire pump on it? Without that, it can be difficult to inflate. Be sure to follow the directions, as it will not be effective if either over or under inflated for you.

(KLD)

I have a 2 inch Roho that we use. We inflate it at each stop due to altitude then once I'm in the bed I roll from side to side to get it under my midsection, tailbone and butt. When Im on my back we prop my feet up on a pillow one night under my feet and heals the next night under my calves also sometimes I lay on it on my side.
    ^^(A)^^

The mattress sized Roho overlay (actually 4 joined sections) is very nice, but also very expensive. The Gaymar pad above sells for less than $100, and works well, although of course not as well as the Roho.

(KLD)

The Repose mattress overlay is used by the district nurses in my area when alternating air mattresses malfunction. It could be worth a look - it certainly packs down small and the storage cannister doubles as a pump.

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/be...RGCxoCSSzw_wcB

To be quite honest, I'm not sure what the advantage is of a repose topper over using a swimming pool inflatable mattress. Anything with air and enough pressure that you don't bottom it out should do the trick shouldn't it?

(Disclaimer: muscular dystrophy, not SCI)

I use the Roho bed overlay at home, but it's a pain to transport because even with the sections deflated and rolled up it's bulky. And of course you have to pump each section up and attempt to get the inflation level right at the other end. It also significantly raises the effective height of the bed, potentially complicating transfers.

Have recently bought a Repose for away from home use (one rugby tournament so far), and like Faethe I wonder whether it's actually any better than a lilo, because it doesn't appear very different from one technically to the untrained eye. It is MUCH easier to transport than the Roho--the sales person who recommended it to me actually suggested leaving it permanently in the car for those unexpected occasions when you have to sleep elsewhere (eg car breaks down and you have to use a motel, or more likely for me sudden need for hospital stay). The catch is that it's mighty difficult to get the thing back into its case (which is also its pump) when you're done. It has to be tightly rolled by someone with good hands/arms and that person will fear all the time that they're going to tear the flimsy-seeming plastic of the thing. But it's light and it's relatively small when packed up, it has a much lower profile than the Roho, and it seems to meet my needs for pressure relief, at least when used for a couple of nights here and there. It does give me an odd sensation of being on the edge of falling when rolling over, but on the other hand it seems easier to roll over on than the Roho. It doesn't seem to cause overheating the way the Roho does--but it's much noisier. I wouldn't want to use it all the time, but for occasional travel it does what it says on tin (at least for me).

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Did it come with the home inflation valve so you can use a tire pump on it? Without that, it can be difficult to inflate. Be sure to follow the directions, as it will not be effective if either over or under inflated for you. (KLD)
    I have not seen the product yet, it is being shipped to me. The model I purchased comes with the electric companion pump. It is suppose to inflate and maintain the mattress even in the event of a pin-hole leak.