Thread: fix bladder leakage with surgery, long term effects?

fix bladder leakage with surgery, long term effects?

Hi, I'm a C6/7 quad and I cath 4 times a day (~200 cc) but still have leakage. So, I went and saw an urologist regarding this problem... he thinks the only way to fix my problem is surgery and it will alter my organs as in I won't be able to have children.
    1- Surgically double the size of the bladder
    2- Implant a needle with wires into my spinal cord to use electricity to make muscles move to control the bladder.
    I'm still young, I like to have children someday...does anyone have any experience with what I might be able to do to control leakage and still able to have children?

"Always look at the bright side of life...."

The cant have children part does not sound right, I cannot imagine a doctor recomending this if this is the case.

It sounds like he is talking about an augmentation, but as far as I know that does not effect your ability to have children.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

CD,

Have you considered a supra-pubic catheter as opposed to bladder augmentation?

Dr. Johnson, a urologist with Craig hospital may be worth a call/second opinion-303-789-8000.

I agree with Curtis. Doesn't sound right.

Are you seeing a urologist who specializes in neurologic urology and SCI? What meds are you taking to control your leakage? How high are your voiding pressures on your last urodyanmics?

Cathing for 200cc 4X daily does not sound like you are taking enough fluids. You should be drinking a minimum of 2 liter daily, and cathing 5-6X daily. Most leakage can be controlled with meds, but an augmentation will help if not. I see no reason that pregnancy would be precluded with an augmentation.

I would question the electrical implant though. This is irreversable surgery, and the only approved implant used for bladder stimulation in people with SCI in the USA (the VoCare)is not commercially available. This is a big surgery, and would require that you transfer to void. There is really no reason to do BOTH an augmentation and a VoCare stimulator.

I would suggest getting at least one other opinion and discussing your options with your SCI physician prior to making any decisions.

(KLD)

The Vocare stim system requires a irreversable Rizotomy of the nerves feeding the bladder. Thats why I decieded against it, if it was not for that, I would have one now.

"Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

China Doll,

Check out Dr. Anderson at Stanford. You can get his contact info off of the Stanford clinical website. For my money, he's the best SCI urologist in the country of not the world. Don't do anything without seeking a consultation with him first.