Thread: Electric Scooters For Paraplegics

Electric Scooters For Paraplegics

I was wondering how many of you that are Paraplegic have a Electric Scooter.The reason I`m asking is I have alot of pain after I`m out an about for a few hours.The rods bit into my back and I get alot of lower back pain so I was thinking about getting a Scooter.
    Would my Insurance pay for a scooter if I`m a paraplegic. Happy Trails Stiggy

Maybe it was a stupid question..;(

If your dr. can write a justification that pushing is deteriorating to your joints yadda yadda. Insurance should pay!

I would just say that scooters have some draw backs. They are larger than chairs, so cannot get into as tight a place in homes, offices and stores. They also offer fewer options for custom seating and seats with appropriate posture supports and pressure reduction. In addition, transfers on/off scooters can be more difficult than with a chair. If you really need power, you may want to explore either power-assisted manual chairs or a regular power wheelchair. Increased justification letters and denials and appeals should routinely be expected for anyone with paraplegia requesting power mobility in any form.

(KLD)

Originally posted by Stiggy:

Maybe it was a stupid question..;(
    I have an electric wheelchair but I use it to get around the yard with my kids and to go to the grocery store. The insurance company did pay

I didnt mean it was a stupid question,At the time I posted this I felt like I was thinking of myself due to the fact we are having a war going on in Iraq!Soldiers are Dieing for are Country and they need are Prayers more now then ever.God Speed to all you Brave Soldiers...God Speed

This is the device I use. It has the advantages of e-chair mobility, yet you can detach it, and park it at will, from your manual chair. Gives you the best of both worlds. It has a top range of about 40 kilometers on one charge. Although it´s called a speedy bike, it´s not very speedy...with a top speed of about 7kmh on a level surface. It can climb hills up to 18%, and works well in grassy environments such as those encountered in backyards and parks. You can even equip it with a snow chain, and tetra grips.

http://www.speedy-reha-technik.de/elektra2/

I don´t know if they sell this in the US. I got mine through my insurance. Sorry, the website is in german, but the pictures are good.

Mike, I have never seen one of these in the USA. Some people have used this which is similar in concept (in fact I know someone right now who has a used one for sale):

http://www.stand-aid.com/roll_aid_po...attachment.htm

(KLD)