Thread: Do all T11 completes have to take detrol or something similar?

Do all T11 completes have to take detrol or something similar?

My husband, Don, T11 complete (5-2005) has been taking Detrol since his injury in May 2005. It's not bothering him but he wants to get off of as many of his meds as he can and wants to know if taking this class of drug is mandatory for his level of SCI. He does IC and has not had any problems with this since leaving Craig in August 2005. He ia going back for his re-eval at Craig in March but wants to know about this before he goes back.

Do people with SCI at his level bneed to take Detrol or something similar for long term use?

Thanks for any feedback!

Sieg

When he goes back to Craig for his annual he should be sure to have urodynamics done. Based on the results of this test, he can then discuss with the urologist if he needs to stay on this drug, add other drugs, or adjust the dose.

If he has a reflex bladder, generally most people who do IC need to use some anticholenergic medication both to reduce leakage between caths, and to decrease pressures to safe levels. Since you cannot feel bladder pressure, the only way to know what your pressures are and if they are in the safe range is to have urodynamics testing done.

If he has a flaccid or areflexive bladder, generally anticholenrgics are not needed.

(KLD)

How does he know what type of bladder he has? What is a reflex bladder compared to a flaccid one?

That is why he needs urodynamics. This test is needed to determine the type of bladder, pressures, capacity, absence or presence of reflux, and activity of the sphincter in relationship to the bladder.

A reflex bladder contracts when it starts to fill with urine. This usually (but not always) results in urine leakage. A flaccid bladder is totally paralyzed and does not usually leak except for what is called "overflow incontinence" when there are very large amounts of urine in the bladder (like 800 cc. ++). You cannot make the diagnosis based only on symptoms or clinical presentation though. He needs the urodynamics.

(KLD)

My boyfriend is a t-10 complete (since 1-21-87) and regularly takes detrol for bladder control. He has a reflex bladder so the medication calms down his bladder spasms. Fortunately, this is the only medication he has to take on a regular basis.

I am T/12- L/1 and have never taken any medication of any kind in 19 years.

I am a t12 incomplete since 1982. I like your husband wanted to get down to the least possible amount after my initial SCI. I got myself down to ditropan 5mg (did need it because I have a reflex bladder and ditropan assured me no leaking between IC). The other medicine I did find necessary is something to get me through the night without spasms (for some reason they were unbareable at night but not so much during the day) back then they prescribed valium for spasms and I've used 5mg at night as well as the ditropan for 24 yrs........that's what I needed. A new med for a short while if an infection or something showed up but other than that I was fine for 21 of those years with just those two meds.

Recently I have developed central pain and now I need a daily pill planner just to keep them straight. I find myself always trying to whitle the # down.....the medical establishment somrtimes throws so many medications at us hoping it hits the target it's meant for. We know our bodies the best so I try to pay attention and figure out whats working and whats not and get rid of the nots.

Good luck....it feels good not to have to have a lot of drugs in ya I hope you can get it and keep it down.

T

Thanks everybody for your replies! I will keep you all posted on the results of the urodynamics.

Thanks Again!