Thread: Does this sound like something bad?

Does this sound like something bad?

Since my accident (3 1/2 yrs ago) my left foot has always been swollen. I fractured it in my accident and it was casted up, never fixed. It is the only thing that I did not get feeling back in also. Anyways, since it is always swollen it is also always cold and sometimes has a purplish cast to it. The other day I was getting out of the car and I hit my leg and cut it on the car door. Now by the little cut (which is right above my ankle) hurts and there is a purple patch around it. Could it be a bruise or something to do with the circulation??? I am 36 weeks pregnant so for the past couple days my feet have really swollen.

I hope you've called your doctor. At 36 weeks your ob/gyn would proably be interested in seeing, or treating this.

It sounds like you may have damaged the circulation to your leg due to the fracture or soft tissue injury that accompanied it. This is not unusual. You might also have something called RSD, which in areas with sensation can cause quite a bit of pain. This often results from crush type injuries of the limb.

I would agree that due to your poor circulation you are more at risks for infections with wounds on that leg, and due to your pregnancy it would be important to let your OB/Gyn know about this injury to see if they want to put you on antibiotics or see the wound for a more thorough assessment.

(KLD)

Thanks for the replies. I called my OB and he said to keep an eye on it and if it gets hot, more swelling, or the purple color spreads to get it checked. I have an appointment to see him on monday so he will look at it then. Me being the worrywart that i am feared a blood clot or something?!