Thread: Items in Bush 2007 budget relevant to the spinal cord injury community

Items in Bush 2007 budget relevant to the spinal cord injury community

President Bush has proposed a $2.7 trillion budget. A total 141 programs were cut, eliminated, or frozen. I will list several that I think may be important to people in the spinal cord injury community. The full list of programs that will be cut are listed here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/...am_cuts_glance

Programs that will be eliminated:
    1. Vocational education state grants, $1,182 million. This is a source of funding for people with disabilities.
    2. Vocational rehabiitation programs,
      • Supported employment, $30 million
      • Projects with industry, $20 million
      • Recreational programs, $3 million
    3. Center for Diseases Control Preventative block grant, $99 million. This includes support for spinal cord injury prevention
    4. Community Services Block Grant, $630 million

Programs that will have major reductions:
    1. Perkiins Lonas Institutional Fund recall, $664 million
    2. Health Resources and Service Administration Health Professions, $136 milion
    3. Social Services block grant, $500 million
    4. Substance abuse and mental health programs, $71 million
    5. State job training grants consolidation, $514 million
    6. Office of Disability Employment Policy, $8 million
    7. Amrak, $394 million.
    8. $3.46 billion of special educational programs for gifted and teacher enhancement programs.
    9. Funding for IDEA has been cut.

Programs that have been frozen:
    1. The National Institutes of Health. President Bush freezes the NIH budget at $28.6 billion. Not only does this mean a 3.5% cut of biomedical research but an increasing share of the NIH budget is being spent on biodefense, with an additional $110 million for a fund to help universities and companies commercilize countermeasures, $49 million for genes/enviornment/health, and $15 million for bridge awards for young invstigators. Most of NIH's 27 institutes will receive slight cuts. An investigator's odds of getting a grant proposal funded will fall to 19% from 22% in 2005. A coalition of all the patient advocacy groups have requested a 5% increase.
    2. National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research. President Bush freezes the NIDRR budget. It was $107.8 in 2005, $106.7 in 2006, and $106.7 million in 2007. Note that this funds the model system centers, the Rehabilitation Engineering Centers (RERC), the Rehabilitation Research Training Centers (RRTC), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and Burn Injury Centers.
    3. Special Institutions for People with Disabilties. These have been frozen, including the American Printing House for the Blind, the National Technical institute for Deaft, and Gallaudet University. http://www.ed.gov/about/overview/bud...section2b.html

There may be others but this is all the I could find in a short read through.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 02-10-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Dr.Young,

Have you ever had the chance to speak to him personally? If you have, does he seem all there? I can't believe these things that he is cutting funding to, and for WHAT? I see the Iraq war as only creating a bigger problem in the middle east, not helping the people as Bush states it, my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by zokarkan
    Dr.Young,

Have you ever had the chance to speak to him personally? If you have, does he seem all there? I can't believe these things that he is cutting funding to, and for WHAT? I see the Iraq war as only creating a bigger problem in the middle east, not helping the people as Bush states it, my opinion though.
    Zok, I have not spoken to George Bush. I think that most people do not know how much of the budget has been cut. Wise.

dr young this is a bluff. last year he did the samething and ended up funding everything. then you came on cc complaining about how bush is spending spending spending.

DA, my friend;

You also said prior to the 2004 Presidential election that Bush would back off on his stem cell position following the election. We are still waiting...

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Cuts to Medicaid, Medicare made

http://www.ohio.com/mld/miamiherald/...iherald_nation

Posted on Thu, Feb. 09, 2006
    FEDERAL BUDGET

Cuts to Medicaid, Medicare made

The president cut spending for Medicaid and Medicare and warned that even more trimming will be needed.

By NEDRA PICKLER

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - President Bush signed a measure Wednesday that trims Medicaid and Medicare spending over the next five years, but he said Congress must make bigger changes as baby boomers retire.

Bush said programs such as Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security are the biggest long-term challenges to the budget. Even after the cuts made Wednesday, the growth rates projected for the programs are unsustainable, he said.

''By 2030, spending for Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security alone will be almost 60 percent of the entire federal budget,'' Bush said before signing the Deficit Reduction Act in the East Room of the White House.

''That will leave future generations with impossible choices -- staggering tax increases, immense deficits or deep cuts in every category of spending,'' the president said.

He defended his budget blueprint for the coming fiscal year in the face of critics from both parties who say he is shaving too much from Medicare and other programs. He said his critics are thinking like free-spending Europeans.

''There are some, frankly, whose policies would make us look more like Europe than we should, and that is kind of a centralization of power,'' Bush said in a visit Wednesday to tax-averse New Hampshire. ``The surest way to centralize power is to take more of your own money to Washington.''

Bush's proposal for the budget year that begins Oct. 1 asks Congress to trim Medicare spending by $35.9 billion over five years, allowing the program to grow at a rate of 7.7 percent instead of the 8.1 percent currently projected.

''It is the difference between slowing your car down to the speed limit and putting your car into reverse,'' Bush said both at the White House and before the Business and Industry Association in Manchester, N.H.

The bill the president signed is a leftover measure from his 2005 agenda. The measure aims to trim $39 billion out of the budget over five years, partly through small cuts to

Mass. Hospitals Worry About Medicaid, Medicare Cuts

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/heal...bos&psp=health

Mass. Hospitals Worry About Medicaid, Medicare Cuts

State Could Lose More Than $700 Million In Medicaid Funds, Officials Say

POSTED: 8:49 am EST February 7, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Massachusetts hospitals and health care providers said curbs to Medicare and Medicaid spending could put a strain on the state's health care system.

Hospital officials say the state would lose $758 million in Medicaid funds under President George W. Bush's spending proposals.

His $2.7 trillion budget plan calls for a 16 percent reduction from last year.

The proposed Medicare reduction would be about $213 million over five years for facilities in the state.

Bush wants to reduce overall spending on Medicare, the government's insurance program for the elderly, by about $36 billion over the next five years.

The health care community is one of the Bay State's dominant employers.

Quote Originally Posted by DA
    dr young this is a bluff. last year he did the samething and ended up funding everything. then you came on cc complaining about how bush is spending spending spending.
    DA, we would have to get Congress to override the President's budget. It is easier to do now than before because his Republican colleagues no longer support him. However, it is clear that Bush has done about everything that he can to gut the funding for people with disabilities, both in terms of support services and research. By the way, Clinton did the same thing to NIH. He always flat-lined NIH and forced Congress to cut elsewhere and restore the NIH funds. That is the reason why I did not vote for Gore in 2000.

Bush is far worse than Clinton for the following reasons.

First, by spending so much on defense, Iraq, and items such as $350 million for marriage and abstinence training, chopping Medicare/Medicaid, and insisting on the tax cut, Bush has left very room for Congress to act. The the best that can happen is restoration of 3.5% which would at least cover inflation so that the budget is not cut but it will have to be taken out of somewhere.

Second, some of the cut items are simply too big to be made up from any other place. For example, for disability and educational services, he is cutting billions of dollars. These cannot be made up in any way without repealing the tax cuts. Until the election, the Republicans still control the budget and Bush can always veto. So, I think that the spinal cord injury and disability community will have to suffer.

Third, Bush is taking up a big chunk of the NIH for biodefense. This has been his strategy all along, stealing funds from biomedical research and care funds. It is hard to know but I think that probably 20% of the NIH budget may now be devoted biodefense. He has been consistently increasing the biodefense mandate for vaccines and organisms since 2001.

Fourth, Bush has already cut the VA budget to ribbons and I did not have time to go through all of the VA budget this year. Combined with the cuts in social services, this means that all the poor people with severe disabilities will not be able to get their services. The veterans groups are incensed. More important, all the energy of the advocacy groups are spent on restoring these cuts, instead of pushing for research.

Wise.