Thread: Stem Cell Research; Subpopulation of Umbilical Cord Blood Cells Have Potential to Bec

Stem Cell Research; Subpopulation of Umbilical Cord Blood Cells Have Potential to Bec

Stem Cell Research; Subpopulation of Umbilical Cord Blood Cells Have Potential to Become Neural Cells
    Blood Weekly
    09 February 2006

2006 FEB 9 - (NewsRx.com) -- A subpopulation within umbilical cord blood cells have the potential to become neural cells.

According to a study from the United States, "The mononuclear fraction from human umbilical cord blood (HUCB) contains a significant number of stem/progenitor cells that in theory could become any cell in the body, including neurons.

"Taking into consideration that transdifferentiation would be a very rare event and also knowing that overlapping genetic programs for hematopoiesis and neuropoiesis exist, we undertook a characterization of the HUCB mononuclear fraction, including analysis of cellular subpopulations and their morphology, cell viability, proliferation, and expression of neural and hematopoietic antigens."

"Two cell populations were apparent-adherent and floating fractions. The adherent fraction was mainly lymphocytes (similar to 53%) expressing hematopoietic antigens. Upon replate, the floating population had many cells that expressed stem cell antigens.

"More of the cells in this subfraction expressed neural proteins. Neurotrophin receptors trkB and trkC were present in both cell fractions, although expression was higher in the floating fraction," N. Chen and colleagues at the University of South Florida reported.
    This may be similar to another post made a while back about Whorton's Jelly(?)... I'm not sure.

Ah, Wharton's Jelly. There are a few mentions here, going back to 2003.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Steven,

Do you know what intrigues me? Whether work with stem cells will ever lead us towards the explanation for specificity of neuronal loss in neurodegenerative disorders. Wait and see, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    This may be similar to another post made a while back about Whorton's Jelly(?)... I'm not sure.

Ah, Wharton's Jelly. There are a few mentions here, going back to 2003.
    Steven, this is a far cry from having neurons. For nearly two years now, we have been isolating cells that express stem cell and neural antigens such as nestin and beta-3-tubulin. Nobody, to my knowledge, has produced functioning neurons from umbilical cord blood cells yet. Wise.